Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

child benefit and student loan

(3 Posts)

I've just filled in the annual deferment form for my student loan and had to declare child benefit for dd as income.

I'm on maternity leave so my income this year will be well below the cutoff (I have the old style loan) but in future the child benefit might take me over it.

dp doesn't have a student loan so is it possible to get cb paid in his name instead? are there any drawbacks to this that I haven't thought of?

I think it's a bit rubbish that this counts as income, I see it as dd's money, not mine.

Rockchick1984 Tue 12-Mar-13 14:11:14

You can have the money paid in DH's name instead, as long as you are warning enough to pay National Insurance it shouldn't make a difference to you unless you and DH were to separate.

thanks.

that's a point re. national insurance, the last bit of my maternity leave will be unpaid so perhaps it would be better to wait till I go back to work, then switch it over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now