Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

compliance officer visit tomoro!!!

(6 Posts)
katieNbump Mon 11-Mar-13 20:19:55

im so so worried i have a officer home visiting me tomoro so scared there gunna be strict and bully me, there viaiting my little girls dad on the same day at his mums aswell worried hes gunna drop me in it and say something that they will take the wrong way. hes not even speaking to me so i cant ask him for advice :'(((((((((((((((((

stormforce10 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:38:42

OK keep calm panicing and worrying won't help you.

Do you know why they are coming? Have you done anything that you are aware of that might be wrong or even fraudulent in claiming benefits? do you think someone has made a malicious allegation against you?

What is it you are worried your DDs dad will say to drop you in it?

I think you need to give us a bit more information before we can give you any advice.

Someone else posted about a compliance officer visit on this post recently and said that they found them to be very polite and helpful so it may not be as bad as you expect.

I hope it goes well

katieNbump Mon 11-Mar-13 21:28:16

my DDs dad is on my tenency still, (huge kerfuful getting him off) have to pay off arrears get a letter and hes not co-operating with it, so basiclly i put in for a exchange and didnt no wether i should put his name on it as hes on the tenancy, but i did put that he wouldnt be moving in with us. the swap is with his mother, she has a 3 bed house and wants to downsize so makes sense she has my 2 bed flat. so i supose it does seem a bit suspicious. i do have someone that has told them im claiming wrongley before resulting in a visit last year. i told them last year were not together, we did try again but it didnt work. i let him see the kids daily pretty much i dont want to stop contact the kids adore him. hes just a bit of a dipshit, he could say anyting wrongly n they get it wrong. like, oh yea im always there. theyl assume he means staying here, or something like that. i live in a tower block and he has lotsa friends who live here so hes always in the building. iv asked my friend to come round for the visit but she has twins so have a feeling they will ask her to leave?! its the only thing i can think of. same officer is visiting him on the same day. just so worrying?! i was sent the letter 2 weeks ago, did some googling, ppl r sayin im screwed im lying im this im that all i want is advice..
it says between 9am-3pm, i have the school run what if she comes while im out??
sad

stormforce10 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:46:51

I think you have to tell the comliance officer pretty much what you've said here. Does he ever stay with you for the night? Does he contribute financially except for maintenance for your DD? If not I think everything should be alright. I am sure the complainace officer will understand that DD's grandmother will want to her grandchild to grow up with more space which is why she's willing to swap.

I can see why it would look suspicious though especially as his name is on teh tenancy. You need to get it off as quickly as you can. Have you spoken to the housing department (assume you're in council?) and asked for their help to deal with it as he has moved out. It will help your case if you can show you have at least TRIED to remove him from the tenancy.

I'm not clear from your post, its just you and your DD then moving to a 3 bed house. If so it may not turn out to be such a good idea because of changes in the housing benefit rules more commonly known as the bedroom tax. You could end up lumbered with not enough housing benefit to cover the rent and having to pay a big top up. Just something you should be aware of before you take this any further. I really would be very careful about that.

Just tell the truth. If everything you say here is true I don't think you should have anything to worry about though someone with more knowledge than me may be along in a moment to say I'm wrong.

Could you leave a note on the door when you go out for school run explaining or ask your ex partner's mum to do it for you so you can be sure of being in?

katieNbump Mon 11-Mar-13 21:59:30

i have a DS aswell so me and the 2 kids moving.
thank u, like i said council wont let me until arrears r paid off and he writes a letter but as he says its 'half his flat' the only way is if i bribe him lol
he has letters sent here sometimes and tries to take out loans and phones in this address but fails!
its a pain in the bum, my nan told me i may have to have a solictor with me that made me worse!!

Rockchick1984 Tue 12-Mar-13 08:34:09

If your DS is under 10 you will have to pay the extra rent on a 3 bed house, just so you know what you're getting yourself into as it could end up being quite an expensive move for you.

Just tell the truth to the compliance officer, as long as he's not paying bills and isn't sleeping over with you then you'll be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now