Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits after separation.

(5 Posts)
MissBrown Mon 11-Mar-13 17:25:15

Thanks Sidge. That sounds like your situation is very similar to mine, glad that it was straightforward to resolve. Hopefully mine will be too!

Sidge Mon 11-Mar-13 17:06:10

I started claiming as a single person last year, and ex and I had stopped receiving tax credits a couple of years previously due to household income. We also had an outstanding overpayment from years back that had been partially paid back but 'frozen' when we were no longer eligible for TC.

When they processed my claim as a single person they told me the amount I would receive, they then divided the outstanding overpayment amount in half and offered a repayment plan by DD to repay my half monthly.

So I have x amount coming in monthly and y amount going out monthly! They were really flexible about the timeframe I could repay over.

MissBrown Mon 11-Mar-13 16:45:35

Thank you. That was really helpful. I think I know where I stand now.

Holfin Mon 11-Mar-13 13:00:52

Hi, I've found this link on HMRC which may help, or try giving tax credits a call ?

www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/things-go-wrong/overpayments/repaying.htm

MissBrown Mon 11-Mar-13 12:49:52

Just some quick advice wanted.
My husband and I are about to separate and I will shortly be applying for tax credits. I work part time but earn a good wage as a professional. I have used the tax credit calculator on line and it showed a reasonable amount that I will be able to manage on.

However, while as a couple the tax credits send us a letter claiming we were substantially overpaid (£3000) so will I have this deducted making a single person claim or will it be written off?

I am in a bit of mess money wise. No significant debts but no real budget in place so feel I have been chasing my tail for years now. H has always been a live for the moment kind of guy financially and as he was the main bread winner, an arguement would always happen if I was to try to discuss money or question any of his purchases.

Any advice or links to useful websites greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now