Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car insurance for 18 year old boy

(4 Posts)
journeygirl Mon 11-Mar-13 10:15:15

Our son is turning 18. For his birthday we want to put him on my car insurance. However my insurance company will not apparently take on any young person. We may have to consider changing insurer. Can anyone suggest an insurer?

Many thanks

Sirzy Mon 11-Mar-13 10:18:32

Has he passed his test yet?

Your probably best putting your details into a few comparrison websites which will give you a good starting point.

Keep a close eye on excesses though as they are normally very high for inexperienced drivers

DS1 is 17 and I looked into this before I renewed my insurance.
Insurance companies don't like adding teenagers as named drivers because they suspect fronting. This is when you put the car in your name when it's actually the teen who runs it.
I had no intention of giving DS a car but I think driving is a valuable skill and I wanted him to learn and then to be able to use my car to gain experience. It will remain my car and I expect to use it 90% of the time.
Many companies I tried wouldn't even quote. My old insurer wanted £1500 to add him as a learner.
I ended up with Direct Line who insured him as a learner and will accept him as a named driver when he passes his test. They also promised to count any time on my policy towards NCD when he eventually gets his own. It cost me £900 to put him on as a learner.

HappynFun Tue 12-Mar-13 17:54:08

I used Halifax for my 19 year old daughter, as second driver, it was about £60 odd a month - my car is far from fancy. Since taken her off as she has lost interest, and my payment is now £12 a month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now