Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Think we have been overpaid tax credits?

(10 Posts)
Lonelybunny Tue 05-Mar-13 21:37:42

I have just done the calculator and based on that we are entitled to £101 for the year , yet they have been paying is £48 per week shock I'm really really worried now , laying in bed feeling sick and I can't do anything until I ring their ridiculously expensive helpline ........

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Mar-13 06:12:35

Which calculator did you use? The HMRC one shows you the total award between today and the end of the tax year only i.e. April 5th. The one at www.turn2us.org.uk shows the weekly amount.

Lonelybunny Wed 06-Mar-13 07:28:56

I used the hmrc one. I phoned them and explained my circumstances last year ,having 3rd child etc they sent me a form a remember which we sent back. They awarded us £48 a week when the calculator says it should be £101 for the year. We earn £35 k between us .

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Mar-13 07:42:20

If the calculator shows £101 that means between now and April 5th... ie. the next 3 or 4 weeks. What does the Turn2Us calculator show?

Lonelybunny Wed 06-Mar-13 07:47:43

I haven't done that' one , I'm really worried now , I'm going to have to call them. I wish they would just check people's earnings against their NI numbers wouldn't that make it easier then me staying up all night worried sick ?

Lonelybunny Wed 06-Mar-13 07:48:37

If that is 3-4 weeks I'm still overpaid as I get £48 pw

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 06-Mar-13 11:11:56

That's not how it works. Paying the right amount of tax is the responsibility of the individual. HMRC don't call anyone up and advise them how to make the most of their tax return or whatever. Never have. They're also far better at getting money into the Revenue than they are at dishing it out. Giving HMRC responsibility for paying a benefit (well done Gordon Brown!) was therefore a seriously daft thing to do.

Staying up all night worrying is not constructive. Get on the helpline this morning and get some answers.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 06-Mar-13 11:13:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lonelybunny Wed 06-Mar-13 11:24:57

No no one has a disability , spoke to them today and told them I'm going back to work end of march as my maternity leave is over , she told me to call back when I know the hours I am doing (wont know until I'm back as only get work which is availiable it isn't guaranteed) no no
One is disabled , but when I looked on the tax credit table under the earnings for the year column and having 3 children it's not too far out I don't think.

Lonelybunny Wed 06-Mar-13 11:25:46

Just realised I've answered the disability question twice hmm can u tell I'm stressssssed ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now