Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

CSA AND BENEFITS HELPP

(9 Posts)
Rockmouse Fri 08-Mar-13 12:06:10

Littlemissarcastic

Rock on Scotland, it seems very unfair that its different rules all over the country, it's zero in Scotland but up to 20% in other places. This going hit some famlies harder than others. In our local area it's going to hit very hard, social cleansing by the back door?

littlemisssarcastic Thu 07-Mar-13 18:02:03

Not everyone is paying towards their council tax Rockmouse.

As you say, every council is different. People in Scotland who were not paying any council tax before the change to council tax support, wont be paying any afterwards, because Scotland have decided that despite their budget being cut by 10%, as everyone's has been, they will absorb the cut and wont pass it onto their constituents.
Pensioners who did not pay council tax under the old system of council tax benefit also won't have to pay any council tax under the new rules.

The rest depends on different councils.

Rockmouse Thu 07-Mar-13 12:17:07

Just looked at differant council web sites ant they all have different rules, check out your local council to see how effects you. But it's looks like everyone will have to pay something. Our local one seems one of the worst ( Tory )

Rockmouse Thu 07-Mar-13 11:58:40

Child maintainence will as of April will be count as income on the local council tax support ( this replaces council tax benefit) that's want our council is doing. I don't if every council is. But if ours can you bet your arse others will. This information arrived today in our local council news paper. Also everyone will have to pay the first 20% plus lots of other changes.

MySonIsMyWorld Sun 03-Mar-13 10:39:03

Thank you il look into it x

Babyroobs Sat 02-Mar-13 12:29:29

No . Maintainence payments do not affect your bebefits. the absent parent pays for his child, then the state pays again.

littlemisssarcastic Sat 02-Mar-13 12:22:42

Basically, apart from the possibility of your council tax payments increasing, your other benefits will not change at the moment if you receive child maintenance.

littlemisssarcastic Sat 02-Mar-13 12:21:10

Child maintenance is not used in the calculations of any of those benefits at the moment.

However, some councils are going to use child maintenance in their calculations to work out what your income is from April 2013. You would need to check your councils website to find out if your council are one of those that will use child maintenance as income.

MySonIsMyWorld Sat 02-Mar-13 12:10:15

Hi im thinking of going after my ds dad to pay CSA however i get income support, child benefit, child tax credits, housing benefit and council tax benefit will having £220 a month csa from ex effect my benefit?

i dont want to go csa because ex is a dickhead who cant be bothered to see ds.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now