Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maintenence payments

(30 Posts)
caholio Sat 02-Mar-13 09:28:43

I have recently split from my partner. We have a 2 year old and are currently trying to agree on maintenence payments. He has offered £200 a month. I pay £330 childcare a month but get child benefit and tax credits. He is very well paid, 50 or 60 k a year. Is this a reasonable amont for him to pay?

littleangel1 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:12:30

Thanks i think i should ask csa. He phoned me again and i got him up to 200? Can the csa actually tell me what he would be paying through them? or will they just tell me its 15% of what he earns?

lottieandmia Fri 08-Mar-13 11:28:26

When you first apply, the CSA have to do their calculations but it will be 15% of what he earns - I think they make allowances for overnight stays too.

SignoraStronza Fri 08-Mar-13 11:36:39

Yes, go straight to the csa and request that they organise the collection of the monies via direct debit. That way there is no argument.

I did this because I knew that ex should have been paying a lot more than £200 a month but there is no way that it is possible to have a rational conversation with him (I.e he'd probably have expected me to provide a list of outgoings for dc and would have argued the toss over everything). At least this way it is fair and hassle free. I just had to give them his name, d.o.b and a rough idea of where he works as he won't let me know his address. Thankfully a 'foreign' name made it easier to locate his NI number.

littleangel1 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:43:30

maybe that's why he agreed to go higher cos he don't want to pay more through csa. Even though it sounds sad 200 a month will make a huge difference to us. I read on csa website last night that they might start charging for using them!

littleangel1 Fri 08-Mar-13 11:45:08

nice to actually talk to people who know what your talking about. A big thankyou to all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now