Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it usual to negotiate rent in the same way as negotiating a house price?

(15 Posts)
ErikNorseman Sun 03-Mar-13 16:02:42

Well where I live houses were being let without even being viewed. I was pathetically grateful to get this house. I negotiated no rent increase when I had been here for a year, by which time the LLs knew me and wanted to keep me.

TiredyCustards Sun 03-Mar-13 15:55:55

I live in the south east and the last 2 places we've negotiated a discount. Look for a reason eg no washing machine, no parking etc though, there are plenty of people with references.

stargirl1701 Sun 03-Mar-13 15:44:06

I am LL. I turn down anyone requesting a decrease in the rent. I find it a concern as I wonder if the tenant will be stretching themselves financially to rent my property which could lead to unpaid rent if their circumstances changed. The rental market is very buoyant so I am prepared to wait.

ErikNorseman Sun 03-Mar-13 15:41:48

Depends where you are. South east - don't even bother

buildingmycorestrength Sun 03-Mar-13 15:35:41

If I was a landlord, homeowners for 15 years is a pretty good reference in itself.

Pendulum Sat 02-Mar-13 14:16:50

Thanks for all the replies. We won't have references because we've been homeowners for the last 15 years. Think we will play it by ear depending on how long the property has been empty and whether it seems in line with comparable places.

Trills Sat 02-Mar-13 12:00:53

the worst that can happen is that they say no, and if you want to you can always choose to pay what they are asking.

The worst that can happen is that they say no, decide that you are going to be a "difficult tenant" and so the house goes to someone else, even though you would have been willing to pay the full price.

I' not saying it's likely, but that is the true "worst that could happen".

DowntonTrout Sat 02-Mar-13 11:16:35

Yes I offered the price I wanted to pay and it was accepted. You can always up the offer if it is declined and you really want the place. Certainly it is worth a try, unless you know you are competing with others for it.

bigkidsdidit Sat 02-Mar-13 11:10:42

our house was listed at £1300 a month, we offered £900 and it was accepted. So saving nearly £5k a year! We are excellent tenants with excellent references and good incomes, and the house had been empty for three months so was clearly overpriced.

I negotiated. 50.00 less a month. On the basis that the property had been empty for three months. That we had good references, guarantors if required and that as we wanted to enrol our child in the school we were looking for as long a term as they could offer.

N0tinmylife Fri 01-Mar-13 22:39:10

It is always worth offering less, the worst that can happen is that they say no, and if you want to you can always choose to pay what they are asking. I am not sure what is usual though.

Trills Fri 01-Mar-13 22:33:14

It depends a lot on the area and how high the demand is for rented houses.

Where I live there are more "good" tenants than there are "good" houses, so there is no room for negotiation.

Pendulum Fri 01-Mar-13 22:26:45

Thanks- that's what I thought. Wondered if I would be the only mug to offer full price!

SuedeEffectPochette Fri 01-Mar-13 22:24:04

If you have good references and no pets and don't smoke etc, I would highlight all that to the agent and try making an offer. Landlords want good tenants, so it's worth a try isn't it?

Pendulum Fri 01-Mar-13 21:42:03

We're planning a relocation and will need to find rental accommodation in our new town until we suss out exactly where we want to live. Have not rented since I was a student and am wondering whether the advertised rental price is generally accepted to be a fixed offer, or whether it's open to negotiation in the same way as you would barter when buying. Any advice, on this or on renting for a short period with a view to buying, would be very welcome!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now