Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage with 5 jobs!

(6 Posts)
henryhsmum Sat 23-Feb-13 20:57:27

I work part time as a parish clerk and have 5 jobs - totalling 19 hours per week. This is not at all uncommon in this sector as many councils only need a clerk for 3 hours a week or so. Previously, clerks were self employed but then HMRC interfered and issued a directive that all have to go through PAYE. This is causing a problem in finding a mortgage as most lenders only accept income from 2 jobs. Essentially I am self employed but due to HMRC can't be classed as such. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get a mortgage in this situation? The ironic thing is that my employment sector is actually very secure as I'm the councils Only employee and unless the were disbanded which is highly unlikely as they are a public body there is nil risk of redundancy!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 24-Feb-13 08:21:28

Have you tried using an independent mortgage adviser or broker? There will be a mortgage company somewhere that accepts your income but you may need professional help in tracking it down. Also, have you approached your regular bank? If you have a solid history of regular deposits and good credit with one organisation you may be able to persuade them to make you an offer.

henryhsmum Sun 24-Feb-13 20:30:50

Tried a broker and they were next to useless. The ironic thing is my credit score is 999 which is maximum you can get! The LTV is also reasonable as is 70%. I just give up tbh. Without wishing to offend anyone, frankly the underwriters don't know what they are doing as all along they have asked ridiculous questions that had already been answered

tadjennyp Tue 26-Feb-13 15:57:56

Don't give up! Try your own bank first. Good luck!

musicalmrs Tue 26-Feb-13 18:45:53

Hi henryhsmum! My DH and I bought a house this time last year, when I also had five jobs! I'm a composer, and had lots of little streams of income (teaching for different London boroughs, freelance work, editing etc) from lots of different places.

We used a mortgage advisor. I think there were some providers that wouldn't accept my income, but there were others that were happy to. In the end they didn't take all my jobs into account (due to the amount of effort involved, considering we didn't need them all to get the amount we wanted to borrow) but I know they used at least three, and probably four.

Keep trying, and good luck! I thought we would have lots of problems, but we were lucky.

Tigresswoods Fri 01-Mar-13 17:32:12

Speak to another mortgage broker. Seriously we are all different & some of us are more creative than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now