Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is my husband deceiving me?

(77 Posts)
BlackMaryJanes Sat 23-Feb-13 14:36:10

I am a SAHM. He earns 52k. We have two toddlers. We live in a tiny 2-bed flat with a mouldy bathroom, sink taps that don't work, holes in the floor, a boiler that doesn't work, an oven that doesn't work. We need to get out of this hell hole.

But...

DH has a poor credit record. The flat has no equity. We have no savings.

DH says there is no way we can leave for the foreseeable future.

I am very ignorant on financial matters. He gives me an allowance to spend each month on myself and the kids (I actually like it this way, as I am naive with money and liable to over-spend).

Anyway, is he telling the whole story? Are we stuck in this flat? My friends think this is bizarre on a wage of £52K.

Help Mumsnet mums!

littlemisssarcastic Mon 04-Mar-13 23:21:33

I could buy 28 litres of diet coke for £18!! shock
£69 a week on ready meals, jelly and snacks and eating out (Is this restaurant or takeaway?) and £30 a week on drinks has actually left me speechless. You're spending virtually £100 a week on crap food and drink for 2 adults, that's not including anything other than food or drink for 2 adults. That is crazy!!! Are you ill often?

My advise would be to take steps to resolve your food issues.

You are spending over £15K a year on what you describe as everyday cuttables?? Therein lies your answer.

I wonder why you have a gym membership too OP. I don't think I'd be spending over £800 a year on a gym membership in your position OP.

3monkeys3 Tue 05-Mar-13 08:49:53

I do think it is possible for all money to be eaten up, even on a good salary. My dh earns £80K and gets an annual bonus, which varies - was £40K last year and £25K the year before. So on paper we are really well off. We have a 2 bedroom house with 3 dc and can't move at the moment. We have quite a bit of debt (we've already paid off loads and still have £20K or thereabouts). I am about to post about how to prioritise our money!

I have halved my shopping bill by meal planning. I was spending £160 per week and then more topping up (so probably £200 in total) - I am now spending £80 per week on the main shop! I still have to top up, but you can see the saving! This has freed up a huge amount of disposable income and we feel like we are getting somewhere. You need to really look at your money sitaution properly - it sounds to me like you prefer not to know, but you'll never get anywhere unless you do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now