Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI - how long can you claim back?

(5 Posts)
Milly22 Thu 21-Feb-13 22:21:21

Hi, Last year I claimed back to 1999 from Barclays. I called the bank and they gave me a number and address to call their insurance brokers who dealt with PPI's. I called up and they could do the search for you, I got £3,000+ from old loans and as I also had refunds on payment protection on my account which was forced on me when I changed my name and got a new bank account. So just give the credit card company a call and ask who dealt with the insurance, they'll have to let you know. Barclays insurance are a different body to the banking services and to be honest, the woman on the phone was bloody marvellous!

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 20-Feb-13 07:03:00

It's not up to the claimant to prove the PPI was missold or to claim a specific amount. Once the financial institution is alerted to the possibility of misselling it's up to them to investigate the claim and make a fair offer of compensation. Clearly, the more information you can provide the better but you do not have to have chapter and verse.

thesnootyfox Tue 19-Feb-13 19:10:33

I got the initial letter asking for my agreement and statements from Moneysupermarket.com. I will give it a go and ask for 16 years worth but I won't hold my breath!

How will I know how much they have charged me without the statements?

Thanks.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:20

In your shoes I would submit a claim for the maximum, stating in your letter that you've been paying since 1997. Have you got the templates from the PPI claim section on the www.moneysavingexpert.com website? You might not get 16 years back payment (!) but anything is a bonus.

thesnootyfox Tue 19-Feb-13 18:09:33

I'm going to try and claim PPI back on my credit card. I've sent the initial request for information letters that are suggested on Moneysupermarket.com and my credit card provider has sent me 6 years worth of statements, I have been paying PPI since 1997 but I'm not sure I can claim as far back as that as I don't have any statements going back that far. Has anyone ever claimed this far back?

Also have no idea whether
I was missold as I can't remember back to 1997!

I telephoned the credit card yesterday to cancel my PPI as I am paying a ridiculous amount each month and can't see how I could ever benefit from having it. I'm self employed now so apparently I'm not covered anyway. I had a lengthy career break after children and as I voluntarily left my employment I wasn't eligible to claim then.

I have quite literally been throwing my money down the drain for years. I have been a financial fuckwit and will not ever spend money again that I don't have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now