Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bedroom tax

(11 Posts)
leggie1995 Thu 21-Feb-13 22:53:02

Thank you smile now I can put my worries at ease xxx

Rockchick1984 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:13:35

Yep, 1 child in 1 bedroom is fine smile

leggie1995 Wed 20-Feb-13 17:46:17

So Is it okay to have my only child in his own room? Xx

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 20-Feb-13 07:03:55

Sorry for the typo... age 10 for different genders sharing is right

leggie1995 Tue 19-Feb-13 19:08:41

Yeah that's true, wanted to hear what othe people think and what they knew as I'm clueless lol because I knew 2children could share but because I've only got 1 it made me wonder xx

BookWormery Tue 19-Feb-13 17:06:21

It's age 10 for different gender.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 19-Feb-13 17:04:18

No harm in getting information from the horse's mouth.

leggie1995 Tue 19-Feb-13 16:38:06

Were in temporary Emergancy accommodation homed by the council. My partner has just started working (today) an have got to amend my housing benefit this week, if I ask there do you reckon they will tell me there? I thought that because they put us in a 2 bed we would not be affected its just been playing on my mind recently as already in money troubles. Xx

noisytoys Tue 19-Feb-13 16:16:50

It depends on the LA too. Round here all living spaces are classed as 'bedrooms' so you would be offered a 1 bed flat

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 19-Feb-13 16:13:05

Two adults and one child living in a 2-bed flat are not deemed to be under-occupied so you are unaffected. If you have another child they would be expected to share a room until age 16 (same gender) or age 16 (different gender). If you're still not sure, why not talk to your LHA?

leggie1995 Tue 19-Feb-13 15:53:27

Basically I was wondering about this bedroom tax that's starting April 1st.
I live with my partner and my child and live in a 2bedroom flat I also get housing benefit. My child is 11months old and has been in his own room since 8months old. What are the boundaries and guidelines for the tax as I am totally confused. I keep reading online but nothing on there says anything about my baby being in his own room. Would I have to pay? I'm totally confused. Thank you to anyone who can help xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now