Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I sign on whilst on maternity leave if fixed term contract is not renewed?

(4 Posts)
LetMeAtTheWine Wed 20-Feb-13 16:01:24

Ah, ok. Thanks to you both for your replies. I am reluctant to contact insurer in case being on maternity nulls the agreement. need a good read of the paperwork then a call to them with a hypothetical question methinks!

Thanks again smile

Rockchick1984 Tue 19-Feb-13 23:23:40

I'm pretty sure you would only sign on while actively seeking work, so once you are ready to return from mat leave? Personally I'd contact the insurer and confirm how they would prefer you to resolve it.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Tue 19-Feb-13 22:59:50

Hi I thought you had to be job seeking to sign in but as you will have caring comittments, it doesn't have to a f/t job iyswim. The insurance policy I had also alllowed you to work less than 16 hours and still claim if that is an option. You can sign on for the ni credits only and not receive any jsa but still be eligible for the insurance money. However the job centre seem to treat everyone the same and you have to fill in job diary, attend fortnightly personal advisor meeting and be accountable to them even if you receive no money.

LetMeAtTheWine Tue 19-Feb-13 13:22:58

Apologies if this has been asked already - I did a search and couldn't find what I am looking for so thought I would ask...

What I need to know is whether I am allowed to sign on when I am on maternity leave? I know I will not be entitled to any payments but presumably you can sign on to say you are looking for work even if you are not receiving money?

Right, the background: I will begin maternity leave in May this year. I currently have a fixed term contract which is due to finish in August. They are looking at extending it but to be perfectly honest, I am no too concerned if they don't. I have an insurance policy that I recieve a payment from should my contract not be extended which will pay more than I would receive if I was working full time and paying for child care. The only slight problem I see is that I have to be signing on for unemployment in order to be eligible for the payments.

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now