Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will I ever see the money ex dp owes me though Child support agency?

(14 Posts)
keli5325 Mon 25-Feb-13 12:14:32

I also have a similar problem in that my Ex is self employed and CSA will only go off his accounts, they say he should give me £25 per week but nothing not a bean..... He has no assets nothing

The CSA dont seem to do anything unless you are on the phone to them all the time - keep calling hopefully they will pull their finger out

Mummyontop1 Mon 25-Feb-13 09:36:22

I have more or less the same problem, CSA has taken 7 years to get any money from my X and I had to go through the CSA Appeals section and then court which finally ended after 18 months with me getting awarded the monthly payments including the arrears of when my appeal started, but I was told by the appeals section to ask the CSA for the payment of the previous 51/2 years as he had been working, managed to set up two additional companies, get married and had an additional 2 kids plus taking on her 2 kids and fool the CSA into giving him a nil assessment by not declaring any of this. So if you feel you are having no joy do not be afraid to take things further by seeking advice or by writing to the appeals section of the CSA. Good luck! You never know what may happen eventually.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 19-Feb-13 23:58:27

I don't know, chocolate. It will be worth it. wink

lilly40 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:12:26

Uhhh don't get me started on the CSA! I applied when I was at university and DS was 2 years old. CSA took ages to complete paperwork etc, and I stupidly gave up trying to chase them. I thought I'd give them another chase up. They said they had lost the file and eventually wrote to me saying my ex was no longer working. In the time they lost the file they should have paid me £10,000, which included backdated payments. Imagine my shock getting a letter saying they owe me £10,000 but cant pay it as ex is no longer working and they cant claim it!!
I really hope you manage to get payments sorted out! My advice would be to ring CSA at least once a week and write once a month so you always have a record of contact.

chocolatespiders Tue 19-Feb-13 20:45:37

Glad people have got the money owed to them. Did it just magically start appearing again or did you have to keep ringing CSA to chase it. I never hear anything from them so tend to ring once a month for an update on nothing much TBH!!

They were meant to set up a deductions of earnings starting in December 2012 but it did not happen.

Ladymary= best of luck with that, do you have to pay court costs?

DollyTwat Tue 19-Feb-13 19:12:02

Incidentally it's the one debt that can't be written off by bankruptsy, so I'll get mine maybe one day if ex gets a job!

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Tue 19-Feb-13 19:07:13

Oh they will definitely make him pay.

My ex owed £8000 in arrears. I got every penny.

He's a really really crap dad doesn't care about DS at all but he hasn't missed a maintenance payment since. grin

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 19-Feb-13 17:06:25

My ex owes me 4k. He hasn't paid since May last year and wasn't paying the minimum amount the CSA assessed before then. He's in the Irish Republic so not in the CSA jurisdiction. I have to take him to court over there. In the mean time I have a disabled child who needs things that I struggle to pay for. He'll have a nice surprise when the court documents land on his doormat! grin

Yes finally they caught up with my Exp, so now as long as his job hopping days are over I am getting my csa plus 40 a month in arrears at bloody last

chocolatespiders Tue 19-Feb-13 16:48:44

Brilliant thanks for sharing that with me Julezboo smile

Julezboo Tue 19-Feb-13 16:25:23

CSA caught up with my Ex last year. He hadnt paid for years, he has over £5000 of arrears. He is now paying just over £300 a month to me to cover his usualy monthly payment and £60 extra a month to cover arrears. You may not get it all in one go but you will get it smile

chocolatespiders Tue 19-Feb-13 16:12:03

Thanks it is through CSA so fingers crossed I will see the money one day smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 18-Feb-13 07:22:18

If you're pursuing this through the CSA it is very unlikely that they will drop the case. In the meantime, I suppose the best approach you can take is to manage on what you know you have coming in and then any collection of arrears or ongoing maintenance will come as a bonus. Good luck

chocolatespiders Sun 17-Feb-13 21:28:03

EX Dp owes £1000 in child support he hasnt paid since last summer. I have been hopeful that I may see this money one day but I am starting to doubt it as time moves on. He starts a new job soon in public sector which I am hoping may change things but could child support say lets start a fresh and forget about the arrears?

Time have been so hard without this money each month and I am so annoyed he has done this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now