Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Having a shit time.

(9 Posts)
keli5325 Fri 22-Feb-13 12:42:41

If you are having problems with bank charges have you considered changing your bank account?

LadyFlumpalot Fri 22-Feb-13 12:33:46

Hi guys, sorry I dissapeared, needed to sort my head out.

Well, I wrote to my bank and they have refunded some charges. My other half and I have managed to jiggle some stuff about so that I only need pay £100 into our joint bank account instead of £450. That gives me an extra £370 this month. I have taken out and have in cash in my wallet my petrol money and train fare for the month so I know i can at least get to work.

I have heard back from a couple of creditors who are happy to freeze collections for one month to allow me to work out what I can afford to pay back.

It's shit, but it's getting more manageable.

Thank you all for being lovely!

frustratedworkingmum Sun 17-Feb-13 19:51:58

what cogito said, that lady does talk a lot of sense!

Firstly - have a hug, its shit being in debt - i know.

Secondly - do exactly wht cogito said, you may be eligible for a debt management plan, also there will be template letters etc to help you get interest frozen on your credit cards. You will have then technically defaulted and it will affect your credit rating, but credit rating shmating, who needs it when all it does is get yo in shite.

Baby steps - you'll get there, we are about 18m into a debt management plan and its changed our lives PM me if you want any advice, ive pretty much been through every mill creditors can chuck at you

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 17-Feb-13 19:50:45

I understand that CAB oftenhave extra negotiating power with creditors so it would be a really good idea to give them a ring and get their help. Best of luck.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Chottie Sun 17-Feb-13 19:47:50

Hello - another hand reaching out to you smile I would agree with Cogito about contacting CAB. I have friend who works there and they help with advice and negotiating with creditors.

You have taken the biggest step, the only way is up now. Lots of luck and keep us updated!

lisadolly75 Sun 17-Feb-13 19:43:44

You have taken the first (and the biggest!!!) by admitting the problem and also sitting down to work out what you owe.
There are places to get help and practical advice.
Let us know how you get on!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 16-Feb-13 12:17:55

I'm sorry you're in such a pickle but please don't panic. There are some good organisations that can offer free debt advice for people in your situation. How about making an appointment with one of them.... CAB, CCCS or National Debtline... and seeing if they can give you some assistance rather than trying to cope with everything single-handed?

LadyFlumpalot Sat 16-Feb-13 11:40:46

Please excuse typos, on phone and crying.

LadyFlumpalot Sat 16-Feb-13 11:40:13

Have just spent the morning filling in income and expenditure forms, phoning creditors and begging the bank to return £350 they have nicked in charges which has put me £200 over my overdraft and subsequently causes them to charge me an extra £60.

Basically I have been suffering from depression for a few years and have had my head buried well and truly in the sand over this kind of stuff now. It's out of the sand now and I'm forcing myself to sort it all out in an adult way, but fuck me it's scary. I owe nearly £4k on a credit card and two stupid loans tags I thought would help but didn't, and I have no way of paying any of it off. I only earn £820 a month which doesn't even pull me out of my overdraft. DH and joint account are budgeted to the penny each month so cannot help either.

Please hold my hand and persuade me I can get through this, I'm in tears typing this all out and I just feel so utterly shit about it all, I'm so disappointed in myself for letting things get this bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now