Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

technical questionn about calculation of contibution based job seekers allowance

(7 Posts)
MathsCat Fri 15-Feb-13 18:28:09

They look at the previous 2 tax years with the most recent ending in the last calendar year... So if you claim any time in 2013 they'll look at April 10-April 12. DH got bitten by this as he had 2 tax years worth of NI payments since graduating but the last one ended during the year we were in. I think you need 6 months in each of those 2 years, but not as sure on that one.

namechangeagain2013 Thu 14-Feb-13 22:31:25

No I did it on phone and they then made me appointment 2 weeks after and they had me go down to sign on 3 times - each time i queried when I might receive some money and on the 4th visit the lady said when I explained of course I would not be entitled as though I had paid a lot of NI contributions they fell in wrong years.

housesalehelp Thu 14-Feb-13 22:29:10

you can now claim online which save at least one visit -

namechangeagain2013 Thu 14-Feb-13 22:25:09

cant actually work it our but think this explains it - need to work out what years I need to be looking at now: www.nidirect.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance

namechangeagain2013 Thu 14-Feb-13 22:20:47

no there is a methodology it is just a matter of locating it - I had signed on 3 times and driven 15 miles each way 3 times to then be told I was entitled to nothing. I am not doing that again.

housesalehelp Thu 14-Feb-13 22:12:17

its seems its not very clear at all - and they simply advise to you to claim and they will work it out on case by case basis -

namechangeagain2013 Thu 14-Feb-13 22:03:16

Can anyone please explain how they work out whether you qualify? More specifically if I wanted to claim from March/Apruil 2013 what is the period looked at to see whether I have made sufficient contributions? The last time I tried to claim during a period of unemplyment though I had worked full time for previous 18 months I could not claim as they looked at more historic contributions and not recent (by which they meant last 12 months) contributions. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now