Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car insurance for teenagers

(4 Posts)
malovitt Thu 14-Feb-13 21:29:45

My son passed his test at seventeen but the quotes we got for a group 1 car (Citroen C1) were ridiculous - £4500 was the cheapest, and even that had a £1500 excess. It's one of the disadvantages of living in Central London I suppose. We are going to wait a few years until he is 20 and try again.

Beamur Thu 14-Feb-13 21:24:14

We got quoted over £800 for about 3 months cover for a 17 yr old learner on an elderly Skoda. Most insurance companies just don't want your business.

Those quotes do sound quite reasonable I'm afraid sad

Pacific Thu 14-Feb-13 18:35:57

I am going to repeat this thread in 'teenagers' in the hope of getting some answers there too.

DH and DS are classic car nuts and have been offered an excellent buy for a classic car (1972 MG midget)for DS.

Stumbling block is insurance. He is only 17 and currently a learner but we are trying to get quotes for after he passes his test.

We have tried the comparison sites and are getting quotes between £1500 and £2000 ie more than the car is worth.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can keep DS on the road after passing his test at a reasonable price?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now