Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

universal tax credit and lone parents

(30 Posts)
zookeeper Sun 10-Feb-13 19:22:37

can someone explain to me the basics or send me a link? I can't make head or tail of it so far.

I work 21 hours and take home about £12k gross in earnings and am a lone parent

Current tax credits for a couple one if you gas to be working 24 hours a week 16 is only lone parents so don't think you should get any at the moment? How many hours to you work died that take if over the 24?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 29-Apr-13 17:23:49

The UC is just a natural progression from WTC and CTC. If you qualify for Tax Credits (also Housing Benefit and several other benefits) today you'll qualify for UC when it comes in. People who are working are more likely to gain from the change than those who are not working. Check your entitlement with the www.Turn2Us.org.uk benefits checker in the first instance.

liz0870 Mon 29-Apr-13 15:50:55

can anyone help me just now my husband works 16 hours a week and his yearly income is 5,600 pounds i claim child tax credits and child benefit,when the universal credits kick in will we be entitled to them and help will be very welcme

JingleMum Thu 14-Feb-13 12:24:23

Have they finalised the working hours? I've no idea what hours i'm supposed to work in order to be eligible for UC. The whole thing seems to be a complete shambles.

aufaniae Thu 14-Feb-13 12:01:58

"Anychance the bastards will get voted out?" I really hope so.

"I am hopeful that they will be out. But I am unsure. A lot of people really are believing them."

Yes, lots of people have swallowed the spin unfortunately sad

Yes, I wonder that too. Perhaps they can tweek it so its not so awful.

I am hopeful that they will be out. But I am unsure. A lot of people really are believing them.

JingleMum Thu 14-Feb-13 11:41:19

wannabe I think they'll be gone at the next election, they weren't even voted in this time around. Labour will be back (I believe and hope) trouble is, now that UC is underway, would labour be able to change it if they did get voted in, in 2015?

I am.

But tbh, losing sleep over it now wont help.

Anychance the bastards will get voted out? Im worried that too many people agree with them.

aufaniae Thu 14-Feb-13 11:31:41

"And they are saying no one will be worse off. So try not to worry."

This was spin, sorry.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies estimates 2.8 million will be worse off under UC - see this report.

The Chartered Institute of Housing says that the poorest 400,000 in our society will be worse off Article here

We should be very worried by what they're proposing IMO.

JingleMum Thu 14-Feb-13 11:20:29

I'm in the northwest, but my city is not one of those being used as a test area.

I'm terrified. I'm self employed (my business is 7 months old) and I'm not earning NMW yet for the hours I work. I am doing some further training and courses in march, so am hoping I'll start bringing in at least NMW for the hours I work from April onwards.

Under UC, are we sure how many hours we need to work if our child is over 1 and not currently at school (I think it's 16 now under tax credits) also how many hours do we need to work once child is at school?

Meglet Wed 13-Feb-13 11:33:57

ProlificWillyBreeder From the little I know I think that as I earn above NMW I won't need to increase my hours. But someone on NMW at 18hrs a week would need to, how shit is that sad.

But seeing as the government don't seem to know how it's going to run don't take my word as gospel!

As far as I can tell OP you will satisfy the requirements so you wont have to look for more hours.

And they are saying no one will be worse off. So try not to worry.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 13-Feb-13 06:38:48

The DWP site has a lot of information here. The stated aim is that no-one will be worse off in the short-term. As an existing claimant for tax credits the changes should be phased in very gradually.

-------------
When does Universal Credit start?

April 2013 – launch of Universal Credit pathfinder

Starting in April 2013, DWP, with our delivery partners in HMRC and local authorities, will introduce Universal Credit to claimants within certain areas of the North-West of England. This “pathfinder” stage will help us ensure that Universal Credit is ready to go live across the rest of the country later in 2013.

Universal Credit Pathfinder – Press Release 24 May 2012
October 2013 – national launch of Universal Credit

New claimants: They will be able to make claims for Universal Credit from October 2013, while claims for existing benefits and credits will be gradually phased out. From April 2014, all new claims will be for Universal Credit.

Existing claimants: They will move onto Universal Credit in line with a phased approach that we expect to have completed by the end of 2017

This phased process will be completed in 2017 and we will continue to provide information on this, as it becomes available.
-----

ProlificWillyBreeder Tue 12-Feb-13 21:07:13

What's the safe zone?

mrscog Tue 12-Feb-13 20:53:21

One important thing I've seen is that if the amount you currently get on TC's is higher than what you would get on UC then you will still get the higher amount. It just won't be increased with inflation annually so the amount will be eroded over time.

Meglet Tue 12-Feb-13 20:49:14

Another one who is worried here. I work 18hrs a week with 2 dc's 6 & 4. Although I am over minimum wage which I think might put me in the 'safe zone'.

ProlificWillyBreeder Tue 12-Feb-13 20:46:43

I have had to stop reading too, my poor brain can't take it! I can't understand it, does anyone?
I worry I will be worse off and I just can't afford to be!

zookeeper Sun 10-Feb-13 19:59:54

I work with vulnerable women who can't manage what they have; they have no idea what is about to hit them. Nor, I suspect, do I sad

Mutt Sun 10-Feb-13 19:58:09

There is no info out there because the bastards they don't know the details themselves yet or how they will be implemented.

It's a complete shambles. Will be so interested to see what happens come April and then October.

So glad I don't live in the NW any more though. That would be pretty terrifying.

ivykaty44 Sun 10-Feb-13 19:56:18

sadly I doubt the election when it comes will revert back if the UC has been put through.

David cameron tried to move IDS to another area to stop the UC going through as it is going to cost thousands and thousands of pounds to implement and they don't know if it will work and they know it is unpopular. IDS refused to move.

Lets see whether it is as big a shambles as the CSA was when that changed

zookeeper Sun 10-Feb-13 19:54:14

you and me both Mutt; it's our only hope grin

zookeeper Sun 10-Feb-13 19:53:24

The lack of info is amazing; I simply don't know or can't find out what I will be taking home from September. How can anyone make any plans?

Mutt Sun 10-Feb-13 19:51:53

From HMRC website:

"It will take up to four years before all tax credits claims are stopped, so don’t worry if you don’t hear anything soon. Remember, you don’t need to do anything until you're told."

A lot can happen in four years.

There's another election in a couple of years for a start.

And I'm planning on a lottery win before then anyway...

bluebump Sun 10-Feb-13 19:47:26

I'm watching with interest, I am a lone parent who works 20 hours a week with one child (4).

Mutt Sun 10-Feb-13 19:44:21

Stop reading. I had to.

Nothing we can do until we know for sure all the facts and they just aren't out there yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now