Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Starting a small self employed business from home while on mat leave

(4 Posts)
eeyore12 Sat 09-Feb-13 17:05:52

Hi I am currently 3 months into 9 months mat leave from my employed job. I am looking to start running baby massage classes again and make wedding invitations/birth announcements from home sooner rather than later. Can I do this while on mat leave ob I will need to re register as self employed (stopped being when current job meant I could no longer run classes) I don't intend on returning to said job when the 9 months is up so would hopefully continue being both employed (in another post) and self employed on the side for a good while yet.

Or would me doing this while on mat leave mean my maternity pay would need to be stopped? In which case I will have to wait till it runs out before starting these ventures up.

Thanks

MrAnchovy Sun 10-Feb-13 13:02:25

You can work in self-employment and it will not affect your SMP, but there may be conditions of your maternity leave placed on you by your employer(s) (these cannot affect SMP or your right to return to work though).

eeyore12 Sun 10-Feb-13 13:38:38

Thanks mr a there is nothing in my contract about doing other work outside of my nanny job so I would assume the same would apply while on mat leave. I won't be returning as a: my hours are changing and b: they have basically said they would rather keep my cover, so I don't want to return somewhere where I know they would rather have someone else do the job.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 17-Feb-13 21:58:34

It won't affect you whilst on mat leave but as we found out with my dh who was s/e and employed, he paid a lot of tax which meant one job he was doing for no profit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now