Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

30 weeks pregnant and starting a new job with 6 months probation period

(13 Posts)
mirai Fri 22-Feb-13 01:18:19

Barred from having a career, not a steer!

mirai Fri 22-Feb-13 01:17:24

Why shouldn't she take the job skinnywhippet? Just because she's pregnant does that mean she should be barred from having a steer? Or wanting to ensure she has a salary coming in to support her family?

Good for you OP, and good luck. smile

Timsy Fri 22-Feb-13 00:58:56

I was made redundant and i need the job desperately thats why I took this job. I need money desperately. I was thinking whether they can fire me with an excuse of unsatisfactory references.

Skinnywhippet Sun 10-Feb-13 16:04:10

Out of interest why did you take the job when you are pregnant? Is it an amazing opportunity or were you hoping to gain maternity pay from it?

Timsy Sat 09-Feb-13 14:44:00

Funnily enough they didnot notice it may be coz I am over weight.thank you for you advice and help I will do that as soon as possible.

flowery Sat 09-Feb-13 14:04:25

You need to be prepared that they will not be happy. The law is on your side, but they will have a new member of staff they are expecting to stay long term, and will be finding out that she will be disappearing on mat leave in a few weeks.

Law or not, they are not going to welcome your announcement with open arms.

Timsy Sat 09-Feb-13 13:57:41

Funnily enough they didnot notice it may be coz I am not over weight.thank you for you advice and help I will do that as soon as possible.

flowery Sat 09-Feb-13 12:46:27

If you want to take maternity leave you are supposed to tell your employer by 25 weeks so I suggest you tell them ASAP. You'll only be there 8 weeks!

Did they not notice at interview?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 09-Feb-13 12:45:42

You might find this article reassuring. If you have a concrete job offer in writing and you tell them that you are pregnant, they cannot withdraw the offer without falling foul of sex discrimination rules.

It goes on to say the following which I think would apply ... "If you were already pregnant when you started the job, you probably won’t be entitled to statutory maternity pay, but you’ll still need to get an official form from your employer which says why they can’t pay you. You may be entitled to maternity allowance from the Jobcentre instead, and you’ll need your employer’s form to get this."

I was pregnant when I started a job but I had told my new employer in advance. I negotiated maternity pay as part of my package for agreeing to join them.

queenofthepirates Sat 09-Feb-13 12:43:52

They can't fire you for being pregnant but I would suggest that you need to tell them straight away as a courtesy.

Timsy Sat 09-Feb-13 12:28:50

Thank you for your reply but I am scared whether they can fire me or not .

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 09-Feb-13 10:04:31

I think it would only be right to tell them as soon as possible because they'll have to recruit your replacement fairly quickly.

Timsy Sat 09-Feb-13 03:26:58

I am starting a new job with 6 months probation period and I am 30 weeks pregnant. When should I tell my employer and I want to take 4 months maternity leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now