Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Universal Credit implications for long-term SAHMs??? Help please!

(803 Posts)
CSLewis Fri 01-Feb-13 09:39:21

Hi, I've just read the Mumsnet summary about Universal Credit, and read that parents of children aged 5-13 will be required to seek work during school hours, though I think those with a baby under one may be exempt.

Does anyone have any further details about this? It feels to me that a parent of young (primary-aged) children is being forced to return to the job market, regardless of whether they judge it to be in the best interests of their family hmm

morethanpotatoprints Tue 19-Feb-13 13:16:02

ssd.

I hope your ds2 is better soon and also sorry for your loss, a few months is still early days. Are you ok and have people to talk to? I ask as I needed support when my mum died.
I agree that today you are damned if you work and damned if you don't. I talk about not wanting to work. I'm not a lazy person, I work hard at home to do whats best for my family. I'm not forced to as I chose right from day one, as my dh career was more important to me than mine. But didn't have any tax credits for many years.
We are all different and I agree about the scrounger statements. It may seem like this to younger generations and I do sympathise but TC/WTC wasn't intended as a benefit and many sahps found this worked for them. I understand that times change and now many will lose FTC, they don't need to be called names. We all do whats best for our families at the end of the day.

ssd Tue 19-Feb-13 14:28:51

thanks gaelic and morethan smile

you know what morethan, I get the support I need on here, the girls on the bereavement thread are amazing and always there, sadly family haven't been so good...( not meaning dh...or the kids there...)

and I agree, we all do the best for our families.....I just get annoyed with all this "women being forced to stay at home"....like its beneath us to actually look after our own kids.......I want to scream "I wanted to be at home, to me there's nothing more important", even though my "career" has swan dived and things are tight financially....

its just each to their own, isn't it

il0vepudding Sun 30-Jun-13 21:56:06

I know this thread is old but I thought I would say something anyway. There are those bashing people who are on barely enough money to get by, whilst the Tories are sitting on designer toilets and buying their 5 star lunches and Marks Spencer's shopping at your expense? Why does the first one seem to make more people angrier than the second one? I am not someone who believes that a person's rights and value in society are determined by their status and whether or not they work, but this sadly seems to be a common belief and that is exactly how the greedy and powerful want you to see things. So you think a working class person is nothing but a wage slave? There should only be time for work and looking for work, no relationships, no love life, no children if your employer pays you a crappy wage? Then there is the notion that children of working class parents do not deserve the best start in life because their Mother owes the state more than she owes her own child. Yes you can express breast milk and have it given to the child in a bottle by an employed care provider, but there is something very artificial about this and I'm sure it has some negative societal implications in one way or another. I am also for set gender roles. If a woman gets pregnant and has a child, nature decided that she should care closely for the child, not anyone else, unless circumstances are extremely exceptional. Why are we so removed from each other spiritually as a society? This is the sad question that I have to ask. It seems like our lives are based on useless artificial things for the convenience of a few and it makes most people sad and stressed and it makes ordinary people turn against each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now