Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Considering becoming a full time Student - Benefit advice

(3 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 31-Jan-13 17:38:37

You should talk to your university's Student Services. The rules are slightly different for full-time students and there are sometimes grants and bursaries available.

PeppermintLatte Thu 31-Jan-13 00:04:35

EDIT forgot to add that universal credit may be in place by Sept 2014, so will I still receive the Universal credit element relating to working? Or will I need to work more than 16 hours to qualify as my child will be at full time school?

PeppermintLatte Wed 30-Jan-13 23:56:34

Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice as I'm a bit worried.

I'm considering starting Uni in September 2014 (missed this years intake) I'm a lone parent and my child is due to start school also in September 2014.

I currently work 2 days per week whilst she's at private nursery, my earnings aren't great but I do earn a profit. I receive working tax credit.

The plan is to go to Uni, plus keep working 16 hours (mainly 2 evenings a week for a few hours, and all day Saturday whilst my child is with their Dad)

The thing is, would I still be eligible for working tax credit whilst a full time student, as my child would be in school? Would I be expected to work more hours due to my child being school age? I just think I'll struggle greatly without my working tax credit. Would I be better just packing work in, living off my child tax credits and concentrating on my studies?

For what it's worth, I live with my parents since ex left us, can't afford my own place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now