Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

self assessment help please?!

(9 Posts)
Melissakitkat Tue 29-Jan-13 22:26:38

Lol I am an accountant and I always leave mine till last minute too - you would think i would learn! Best of luck with it, night night off to bed now. :0)

differentagainname Tue 29-Jan-13 22:23:42

Thank you so much - sorry to be dense sad. Am letting myself get too stressed about this I think......

Lesson learnt - complete self assessment in good time next year to avoid last minute panic!

Melissakitkat Tue 29-Jan-13 22:10:54

7 plus 10 takeaway 3 equals 14.

Melissakitkat Tue 29-Jan-13 22:09:24

In the above diagram - sales is the amount you have sold in £ I.e. 15.

Cost of sales is the cost of your purchases taking into account stock levels at beginning and end of year in the above example this is 14.

differentagainname Tue 29-Jan-13 22:05:38

It's no good. I can't get my head round it. What is the difference between sales and cost of sales? blush

differentagainname Tue 29-Jan-13 22:02:25

Oh dear - I am really clueless it turns out (and a bit panicky about tax bill!). Am just trying to get my head round this. Thank you so much. May have another question in a minute........

Melissakitkat Tue 29-Jan-13 21:49:22

Sales 15

Opening stock 7
Purchases 10
Closing stock (3)

Cost of sales 14

Profit - 15-14= 1

Melissakitkat Tue 29-Jan-13 21:47:12

In the p&l you add your opening stock to purchases made in the year then take away closing stock this equals cost of sales!

differentagainname Tue 29-Jan-13 21:44:52

Does anyone know if there's any way I can factor in my stock levels into my tax return i.e. can I offset any of the profit against end of year stocktake? I seem to remember something being said about this at a course i attended but have forgotten the detail sad

Sorry, am confused.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now