Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why's it all money money money

(6 Posts)
er1507 Mon 28-Jan-13 19:03:55

Just need to have a moan really. I'm a single mum working part time and I have absolutely no disposable income! nothing! All my money litterally goes on bills. With keeping on top of the normal bills in trying to pay off other debt, a very small amount compared to others but when everyone wants paying all at the same time it makes it harder to pay off. There's no way I can cut back. I don't smoke, go out, survive on one meal and a few snacks a day and its really getting me down now. I would give up my car but need it to get back and fourth work. If I wanted to cancel my tv package I'd have to pay what's left if the contract so can't do that.....I read an article in the daily mail the other week about a single mum of 2 that doesn't work but manages to save a ridiculous amount of money every month yet still maintains a high lifestyle...how? How do people do it?!

caramelwaffle Mon 28-Jan-13 19:09:34

Low or no debt.

Low or no housing costs.

Already have everything they require for housing and comfort (no need to buy anything else) i.e. All kitchen equipment/white goods/furniture/clothes for different seasons...

caramelwaffle Mon 28-Jan-13 19:18:48

Child maintenance.

Spousal maintenance.

Family loans.

Prize winnings.

Inheritance.

Business acumen.

Investments.

CashmereHoodlum Mon 28-Jan-13 19:23:04

Don't believe anything you read in the DM. It's all lies, especially when they are on about single mothers on benefits. It is designed to make everybody hate the poor.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 29-Jan-13 06:28:07

People have very different lifestyles, expectations and costs vary accordingly. Some parts of the country are much cheaper to live in than others. Cars are really expensive & many decide to manage without one. Debt is a big soakaway for what would otherwise be spare cash. If you're really struggling to meet your commitments have you considered talking to one of the free debt advisory services like CAB?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 29-Jan-13 06:29:19

BTW... are you claiming all the state help to which you are entitled and do you get maintenance payments for your children? www.turn2us.org.uk has a very good benefits checker... could be worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now