Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child tax credits help.

(10 Posts)
OhMyNoReally Wed 23-Jan-13 13:47:15

Just a quick one if anyone can help? We have lost a huge amount of tax credits due to a tax rebate and preschool voucher scheme. We moved house so had the preschool vouchers refunded to our salary and were given the tax rebate by the HMRC but its affected my dh P60 it basically made it look like we're on more money than we are. I am now feeling the squeeze and I am guessing our child tax won't be sorted until the next tax year. If I have to wait that's fine and we'll manage (just) but if something's wrong or we can increase our child tax a bit to reflect salary I'd be grateful to know how. I'm sorry if I come across as a bit stupid or money grabbing I just don't understand the tax credits system and am worried about how much it's dropped. Thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 23-Jan-13 14:57:43

Have you tried contacting the HMRC Tax Credit Hotline?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 23-Jan-13 14:59:26

0844 770 5811

OhMyNoReally Wed 23-Jan-13 16:24:11

Thanks we rang child tax with P60 earnings and as it goes off earnings we look like we earn a sky high amount but everything was scued mainly by the rebate and then with the voucher return. I'll ring the helpline just to make sure though. I know it will return to normal in April but its a bit stressful. Thanks.

I'm not sure about thd vouchers - you do know you either use the vouchers OR claim tax credits NOT both? They do ask you like 100 times so sure you do know so they shouldn't really make much diff as you wouldn't be getti v help towards your child are costs if you were using thd vouchers anyway? It would be the rebate increasing your earnings.

OhMyNoReally Fri 25-Jan-13 11:32:59

Yeah we don't get working tax credits, that's why we used the voucher scheme and I know the rebate increased our earnings but everything's scued. We didn't realise how much it would affect our child tax. Hopefully everything will return to normal in April or May. Thanks.

Hang on, working tax credits are if your income is below certain amount I think £16k ish, child tax credits one of thd things being help towards child are costs you have to declare if you use child are vouchers otherwise you are getting the benefits twice. So you can't use a £243 or whatever amount voucher then also claim tax credits towards your child are bill. I think you can towards the amount after the voucher but deffo not both.

I used to use vouchers then when I had second dc I went part time and my salary dropped to be able to qualify for help towards child are costs and that's when u stopped using the vouchers. You deffo can not have both!

OhMyNoReally Fri 25-Jan-13 16:58:40

I don't have working tax credits but vouchers are a loss of earnings but technically you don't loose out as you get taxed less as the money has been moved for vouchers, or I'm pretty sure that's how it works. It doesn't affect child tax as that's based on household income. I'm not claiming anything twice.

It deffo does!! Using the vouchers makes your annual income less so you get more tax credits so you get the benefit twice!!

I don't understand how a tax rebate would affect your tax credits because it's based on your gross income before tax. A tax rebate wouldn't increase your gross income therefore it shouldn't affect your tax credits confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now