Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

2 bed house - what are your monthly bills?

(11 Posts)
sooperdooper Wed 23-Jan-13 09:58:09

Can I be nosey and would anyone share with me what their monthly bills add up to if they live in a 2 bed house?

My husband seems to think our overall house costs are realy high but I think they're about average, in total it comes to £1,157 a month

That includes mortgage, gas, electric, water, council tax, b&c insurance, tv licence, British gas cover for the boiler, Sky tv (I question whether we need that if we want to cut costs!), & a loan we're paying back at £178 a month

Is that about average or not?

specialsubject Wed 23-Jan-13 10:18:43

doesn't seem bad with all that lot - but do you want to provide a breakdown?

nothing to be done about council tax and TV licence. Budgeting and Sky do not go together.

sooperdooper Wed 23-Jan-13 10:24:33

Thank you , I thought it was about average.

I'd happily cancel the Sky tomorrow but it does include the phone & internet too so I guess it's not too bad, and DH watches the football on it - if we didn't have it at home he's want to go out to watch it

mortgage 670 (overpaying by £65 a month, we were on a fixed rate which ended and now could be lower but I'd rather keep paying that bit extra)
gas 27
electric 44 (this is high as we were paying too little at one point so making it up)
council tax115
Water 25
Tv licence12.12
Bristish Gas cover25
B&C insurance16
Sky 45 (includes phone & internet)
Loan 178
Total 1157.12

sooperdooper Wed 23-Jan-13 10:25:26

Oh bugger, I did tab the figures along so it was easier to read but it hasn't worked when I've posted it

It sounds ok to me. Nothing jumps out as especially expensive. Including the sky. It's £13 just for the phone line and £10 for unlimited broadband. Not getting sky sports can be false economy of he's going to watch footie in a pub instead.

noisytoys Wed 23-Jan-13 16:57:09

sounds about right to me. We are in a 2 bed flat our gas and electric are £92 for both but all the others are bang on what we are paying pretty much

Mum2Fergus Wed 23-Jan-13 18:46:16

Pretty similar to what we pay out...

BMW6 Wed 23-Jan-13 19:47:18

Our bills are in that ballpark too

Moominsarehippos Wed 23-Jan-13 19:51:45

Gas and electricity are about £600 a year each, phone and broadband £140 per quarter, council tax £100 a month, water about £400 a year, insurance £11 a month, mortgage about £1400 a month. Car stuff too? Parking £125 a year.

specialsubject Wed 23-Jan-13 21:45:07

seems pretty reasonable. You might be able to get cheaper boiler cover, and if the water is metered I would expect about £20. You could get cheaper phone/broadband (BT Line rental saver £10.75, unlimited calls plus 10GB data £16), but if you make use of the Sky then fine.

Apart from that -good luck to hubby if he can get cheaper!

TinyDiamond Thu 24-Jan-13 00:24:37

your gas and elec is cheap!!! we are in 2 bed terrace and its £130 per month in winter. 70-80 in summer.

rent 550
c tax 110
water 16 but pay this biannually instead of monthly

other stuff is more including contents insurance, cat insurance, TV license, phone/net, mobile bills but CBA to type out. we are always spent up at end of month sad sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now