Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

not entitled for smp what do I do now??

(10 Posts)
Red81 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:55:33

Hi Ive recently just found out that im expecting again and because I only work 8 hours a week and earn less then £107 a week im not entitled to get SMP!!? Is there any thing else that im entitled to? I cant afford to live off nothing, I worked full time 3 years ago when I was on maternity leave with my LO and recieved SMP, so it never even occured to me that I wouldnt get anything this timesad having a little freak out if anyone knows anything about this that could put my mind at ease or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful thanks xx

Maternity Allowance?

lightrain Tue 22-Jan-13 21:50:56

Maternity allowance. here you are

Rockchick1984 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:51:29

You should be eligible for maternity allowance which is 90% of your average weekly earnings.

ThingummyBob Tue 22-Jan-13 21:55:33

Sorry, but did you think that you wold receive more than your wages by way of allowance for having a baby? I know you cannot live on fresh air, but how have you been supporting yourself earning less than SMP thresholds anyway then, iyswim?

Obviously benefits kick in for parents who have no means to support themselves. SMP is an allowance of pay in lieu of wages.

Red81 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:23:45

Sorrry I didnt know what maternity allowance was thanks , I thought last time I was pregnant that I seen something about 90% of earnings if they were below a certain amount, I only went on the goverment website to check yesterday and it was smp I was looking at, didnt even see anything for MA, thanks for your help feel alot better now, havent told my employer im pregnant yet its still early days smile

Thingummybob, my partner works full time but we still rely on my wage even if it isnt alot so the thought of not having anything while on mat leave got me panicing a bit x

thanks so much everyone I feel alot better now xx

chocoholic89 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:27:47

Hi u will get workin/child tax credit aswel depending on your total income.

Red81 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:45:48

yeah we get them at the mo for my lo ( not very much) but every little helps x

chocoholic89 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:49:49

Yeah It certainly does.I don't live with my bf at the moment but we are saving to get somewere.I have been using my tax credits to save as I know it will all change when we get a place together :-( he is self employed and am on mat all.

Red81 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:56:33

good luck xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now