Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Pushy Bloody Bank...

(7 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Wed 23-Jan-13 11:56:10

Been out for about 7 years now thank god; but I still have friends there who are telling me that it's become worse.

I still have all my accounts with the bank though; only because I know that the accounts are set so that I don't get junk mail, sales calls or anything similar!

Rockchick1984 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:45:11

Same here Carp being asked what sales I'd made from helping a terminally ill man sorting his finances so his family wouldn't have to do it after he died made me realise I'm just not ruthless enough for retail banking sad

MsNobodyAgain Wed 23-Jan-13 10:20:46

Carpe shock

No wonder you left! I do actually feel sorry for the employees that are given targets to up-sell. I bet 90% of them hate it.

CarpeJugulum Wed 23-Jan-13 09:53:26

Nice smile

I'm an ex-employee of a large bank.

I left for a variety of reasons, but the standout one for me was the day I was helping an old lady whose husband had died. She was distressed, so I took her into a private room, sorted the accounts out and arranged to transfer a large sum of money to the undertaker.

When I came out, my line manager the twat from hell asked me why I hadn't sold her some life insurance for her own funeral, or got her to lock the large sum of money away in a notice account.

When I pointed out what I had been doing, he told me that it was a waste of my time to deal with people like that... angry

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 23-Jan-13 09:43:57

Happy ending. After sending one of my trademark withering e-mails I've just had a very apologetic bank HQ on the phone, grovelling like crazy, promising to slap wrists at the branch and offering me £20 compensation for being so damn cheeky. Ker-ching!!!!!

<Sticking it to the man... go Cog....>

MsNobodyAgain Wed 23-Jan-13 09:19:23

I know I shouldn't laugh but I did.

I'd like to pay money in without being asked when my home insurance is due for renewal or being offered a credit card that gives me free travel insurance. I haven't been abroad in 8 years FGS!

And breathe.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 22-Jan-13 16:26:01

My account went into the red this morning owing to my salary being paid a day later than normal. By 10am it was all back in the black. At 11am (!!!) I get a call from the bank telling me there had been a deposit made but that my account had been in the red. Would I like to upgrade my account and take advantage of various overdraft facilities? For the sake of one hour in the red? What kind of mug do you think I am?

Usain Bolt couldn't have been any quicker off the mark. Pushy upselling bastards...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now