Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Fridge/freezer not working after only 3 years - my rights?

(23 Posts)
mercibucket Wed 30-Jan-13 19:02:43

Yay smile

mercibucket Wed 30-Jan-13 19:02:43

Yay smile

specialsubject Wed 30-Jan-13 18:59:57

woo-hoo! grin

HMTheQueen Wed 30-Jan-13 16:29:40

Well well well - guess what has started working again now that the temperature has gone up? Freezing perfectly and no issues at all, so I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on it if the temp drops again. Thanks for all the help!

madrush Wed 23-Jan-13 21:52:38

My frost-free freezer stopped freezing properly. Engineer told us to defrost it (even though it wasn't meant to need defrosting). Fan clogs up with frost sometimes. Worth a try.

HMTheQueen Wed 23-Jan-13 21:48:50

Argh! Sorry for typos - I blame iPad and wine!

HMTheQueen Wed 23-Jan-13 21:47:50

We've got a local fridge place that I'm sure will be Ble to recommend a man to come ad check it out. If its a case of a part and some warmer weather I'd rather wait and it replace it. Thanks for the tips! Xjx

specialsubject Wed 23-Jan-13 21:46:52

as others mention - it is too cold for it in the garage. Bring it indoors or wait for next week, and it will probably recover.

ClareMarriott Wed 23-Jan-13 14:44:28

If you have kept your fridge/freezer in the garage, maybe it had been working overtime to keep it going and now something has blown . Would it be worthwhile just getting someone out to look at it as it might just need a part being replaced and then a bit of relocation ? .

bluecarrot Tue 22-Jan-13 23:36:21

Not all will. My freezer has given up (as of yesterday, officially, but it was second hand and is 16 years old).

SOME are ok with being colder (based on my research last night).

I brought mine inside, waited 24 hours for gases to settle then did the boost freeze for 12 hours. Was lovely and icy, but turn the boost off and it was defrosting quick (i put bread in to test it)

How long is the parts warranty on yours?

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 22-Jan-13 15:18:55

Oh yes... they definitely trip out if they are in sub-zero garages....

HMTheQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 11:51:35

Good point. We might hold off on replacing it for a little while.

mercibucket Tue 22-Jan-13 11:36:53

Maybe it will start working when it thaws out a bit

HMTheQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 11:32:52

Oh shit. Totally didn't even think that the garage would be the problem!

Bugger. Thanks for the info - will look at one that can be kept in the garage then!

MrAnchovy Tue 22-Jan-13 11:19:46

"It's kept in the garage so it's taken us a while to realise its not working as its already so cold in the garage!"

Domestic fridges are designed to work in domestic ambient temperatures, not cold garages.

Rockchick1984 Tue 22-Jan-13 11:16:08

Is it one that is designed to be kept in the garage? We recently moved house and wanted to buy a new fridge freezer but most of the ones we looked at said they weren't suitable for keeping in the garage due to the temperature in there, if yours wasn't a specific garage one then maybe it's finally given up?

HMTheQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 10:30:56

Power is getting to the fridge as the light goes on. We turned it off and then turned on again and it whirred into life - so we thought it was ok. Half an hour later it had stopped again.

It's kept in the garage so it's taken us a while to realise its not working as its already so cold in the garage! But it's def not freezing anything.

mercibucket Tue 22-Jan-13 10:15:05

really sorry to ask but did you check the fuse?

(sorry, i know its obvious)

HMTheQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 10:09:35

Oh I'd love to name and shame! It's a zanussi. I assumed that it would lasts at least 5ish years. My parents have had the same fridge for about 20 years and they keep moving house and it still keeps chugging along. I guess that's why I expected mine to last longer.

I'll write a letter and see if it gets me anywhere. I really don't want to have to buy a new one!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 22-Jan-13 09:59:49

I've had the same fridge and freezer for about 20 years now. Unlike appliances with lots of moving parts, there's not much about a fridge to go wrong confused. Usually the seals perish or the casing gets rusty before the motor conks out. I never buy the extended warranty for example

So try the sternly worded 'I expect better' letter to the manufacturer and then call out an engineer .... care to name and shame?

HMTheQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 09:52:07

Really? Damn! It's only just three years old too! I really thought it would last a lot longer than that!

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 22-Jan-13 09:43:45

I think John Lewis are right on this occasion. You could try guilt-tripping the manufacturer with a strongly worded 'I expect better from a brand like yours' type letter but I suspect that they will also cite the 2 year warranty. I recently replaced a 10 year old dishwasher and the installation engineer thought I'd done pretty well. 'Most only last 3 years' was his observation.

HMTheQueen Tue 22-Jan-13 09:38:32

Just discovered that my 3 year old fridge/freezer has stopped working. I called John Lewis who said that it only had a 2 year warranty so there is nothing they can do to help replace/fix it.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here, about a 6 year (?) rule for large appliances? Surely a fridge freezer should last longer than 3 years?

Can anyone help me with what I should be saying to John Lewis (or would I contact the manufacturer)? I'm not really happy with their response.

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now