Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

scan of credit card requested by hotel - is this ok?

(14 Posts)
Girlspeed Fri 01-Feb-13 14:52:48

Definitely not acceptable - which Hotel is it?

It is probably against card scheme (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX) rules to do this and also its not PCI secure.

lizzywig Wed 23-Jan-13 06:18:33

I used to be a PA & during this time booked a lot of hotels for other people. I was regulary asked to send a scan of the persons card that I was using. However they also sent a form that needed to be signed by the card owner. I can't remember the reasons, I think it was because I was using their card to make a booking & the hotel were taking precautions against fraud. Look at the booking info on their website and see if there's any mention of providing a card in advance. Are you paying in advance or departure?

Although I have been asked this countless times when at work, I've never been when using my card for a personal nature and wouldn't want to either.

charlearose Tue 22-Jan-13 18:45:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JethroTull Mon 21-Jan-13 21:03:56

It's not ok. Tell them it's not PCI compliant (payment card industry). They should accept the card number. If its for pre payment you should be able to call & give the number over the phone.

bran Mon 21-Jan-13 20:54:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Duritzfan Mon 21-Jan-13 20:49:28

I wouldn't do it either ...

PixieHot Mon 21-Jan-13 20:29:34

I wouldn't like that at all. I already hate giving my card details over the phone.

TheCrackFox Mon 21-Jan-13 16:40:57

Very odd. I would change hotels.

No, I agree, it's all a bit odd. Thank you!

Pascha Mon 21-Jan-13 16:14:49

Oh I would definitely be changing hotel. Its not worth the suspicion turning into reality is it?

Yes that's exactly what I thought hmm I emailed them to say as much but they have replied still requesting the scan. I am inclined to find a different hotel, but it means I have to change things around which is really irritating.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 21-Jan-13 16:07:48

I've never sent a scan either and I travel a lot for work. confused You should be able to give them the details over the phone or book online. They'll swipe it when you arrive but a scan sounds a bit odd.

Pascha Mon 21-Jan-13 16:02:35

I've never sent a scan. A card number should be enough surely, same as any advance booking?

I'm trying to make an advance booking for a hotel in London - they have requested a scan of both sides of my credit card in order to confirm the booking. Is this normal? I don't feel at all comfortable sending this information, but happy to be reassured if it's completely normal. Thank you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now