Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Shocked at the cost of my specs

(12 Posts)

You may not want to risk on line for your main pair but for a spare pair at a fraction of the cost there are some good on line companies around.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:33:46

I know an optician, lenses cost 20p. I'm sure yours cost more but it's still dirt cheap compared to what we pay.

I wonder if you can go to a university that runs an optometry course and be a practice patient, perhaps they could make your glasses cheaper.

You sound like the kind of patient they'd love.

Vickibee Sun 20-Jan-13 13:55:19

i did get a free eye exam cos glaucoma is present in close family. Saved £20 there I suppose.

The optician took me at my word with no way of checking - how do they know it is genuine?

Vickibee Sun 20-Jan-13 13:52:48

i have had to pay on my credit card and worry about paying for it later, I am desperate for some new glasses and can't manage without.
Optician said I had oblique astigmatism too whic made my peripheral vision distorted, I do feel that their mark-up is obscene

RandomMess Sun 20-Jan-13 11:56:33

DH is -10 + in both eyes so gets free eye tests (whoppee) his lenses cost around £500 as they have to be thinned so much - yep its extortionate and seems unfair that he gets no assistance with them.

LeeCoakley Sun 20-Jan-13 11:54:11

I feel panicky that I need new lenses and am flat broke at the moment. My last pair 3 years ago cost over £300, basic varifocals and non-designer frames! It's frightening when you have a prescription that is complex.

Oops, prescription is now -17 and -14 and also have astigmatism. Strangely, one of the operations caused a cataract that as removed and has made a huge difference even though my sight is worse (it was my good eye that was -9)

It's rubbish, I agree, my prescription is very high (short sighted and worse since detatched retina in the summer). I don't even get a choice in thd lenses there is only one brand that are suitable for me. Last two pairs (optician did give a discount) were almost £800 plus I usually wear co tact lenses! I can't now as my prescription is too high so just to change one lense recently cost m3 p er £200!

Given the dramatic loss if sight that happened last summer though I will pay anything to be able to see a bit better confused

Vickibee Sun 20-Jan-13 07:21:26

I have a complex prescription and would not be able to risk online, but may try asda which is nearby.
I realise they have overheads staff and premises costs etc but I feel that sight is a basic need and should be an element of social responsibility with pricing

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sun 20-Jan-13 07:09:19

I know, so expensive. Try one of the supermarket opticians.

You can also buy glasses on line very cheaply, you pick your frame choice and send your prescription. You don't have the luxury of them being fitted and adjusted and it's a gamble not trying on a frame first though.

Vickibee Sun 20-Jan-13 06:40:17

She'd say no vat included, not therapeutic (spell checker on iPad)

Vickibee Sun 20-Jan-13 06:39:08

£378 for my new specs have no choice as I am very long sighted, my prescription is. Plus 9.5. I need varifocal lenses, the ones with less peripheral distortion and thinned lenses. My sight seems to have worsened lately and struggle to read in dim light.

How can this be justified for a basic human need? I presume therapeutic is no vat included? I saw a doc a while back and it said it cost pennies to Mae plastic lenses so are we being ripped off?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now