Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax code- was 850L CUMUL- now suddenly 'BR'..Why?

(28 Posts)
Erebus Sat 19-Jan-13 19:24:20

Boring Q, sorry! I am an NHS worker and have been for years. My tax code changed a few years back as I routinely claim pre-agreed allowances like professional society membership, uniform washing etc, so I gather they changed my code to allow me a higher 'tax free' allowance to take thsi into account so I don't have to individually claim any more..

Suddenly today I got a letter today saying: Your new tax code for the year April '13 to '14 is "BR" '.

Wot? Doesn't that stand for Basic Rate? And is 'BR' an entire code or is something, like a number missing from it?

Surely this is a mistake?!

Erebus Sat 26-Jan-13 15:17:51

Surely the user ID they sent is the umpteen number one?

I am using the 12 digit number on a credit card like thing that came through the post a couple of days ago complete with a separate 'activation code' which I activated.

I reset my password as I couldn't believe the log in wasn't accepting my ID, seeing as it's on a bit of plastic from them, they chose my new password (6 numbers/digits given on the site, 6 more emailed to me- you combine them...) but the screen is still telling me 'there is one or more errors in your user ID or password.

So I dunno!

MrAnchovy Sun 27-Jan-13 01:34:03

"I am using the 12 digit number on a credit card like thing that came through the post a couple of days ago complete with a separate 'activation code' which I activated."

Yes, that's the one.

"I reset my password as I couldn't believe the log in wasn't accepting my ID, seeing as it's on a bit of plastic from them, they chose my new password (6 numbers/digits given on the site, 6 more emailed to me- you combine them...) but the screen is still telling me 'there is one or more errors in your user ID or password."

Sounds like it is really broken then sad You could take up their offer of a 'phone call from wherever they have their support centre these days or use a different email account and start again.

Erebus Sun 27-Jan-13 10:38:06

Yes, I'm thinking of starting from scratch as what I've 'achieved' so far has been a big, fat, fail! I can't see how anyone calling me can sort it out, tbh.

As I've said, I would be happy to do a DIY forecast but I don't have the necessary accurate records of when I paid NI and how much; I'd've assumed the tax and pensions people do have those records filed under my NI number!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now