Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child benefit on maternity leave

(2 Posts)
mmmmsleep Tue 08-Jan-13 23:52:18

In my understanding it goes on your income for the tax year...so for you as long as neither parent earns over 60k in that tax year likely to be worth claiming...but you will have to do a tax return.
Best luck with rest of pregnancy

Teapig Tue 08-Jan-13 23:39:25

Hi, I'm expecting my first baby and I'm very confused about child benefit while on maternity leave.

I know that child benefit is reduced for those with an adjusted net income of over 50k, what happens if you usually earn 50k or over but for the year you take maternity leave you earn much less?

Would I still considered as earning over 50k even though my income will be much less this year as I'll be taking maternity leave? Hope that makes sense.

I'm the main earner and things will be very tight when I take maternity leave so wondering whether I will be considered as well below the threshold while on mat leave or whether I'd be entitled to reduced benefit even though I'm earning much less than 50k this year.

I know this is probably a stupid question but any advice is very welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now