Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I set child care costs against teaching income (self employed)?

(9 Posts)
scaredbutexcited Tue 08-Jan-13 12:42:59

Trying to decide whether to go back to teaching after my little girl is born.

After long discussions with DH thinking of doing some supply work when our little girl reaches around 6 months.

I am self employed so paid X amount for teaching a course. Does anyone know if I would be able to set the cost of the childcare against the teaching income as an allowable expense?

Thank you for your help.

MrAnchovy Tue 08-Jan-13 12:57:45


scaredbutexcited Tue 08-Jan-13 13:21:54

Thank you.

getyourshoesonNOW Tue 08-Jan-13 16:08:06

Turn yourself into a limited company and then your company can issue you with childcare vouchers

Pourquoimoi Tue 08-Jan-13 16:13:36

Agree it isn't an allowable expense. And setting up a limited company may well not be worth the hassle for a potentially small income.

Can your DH get childcare vouchers from his work?

scaredbutexcited Tue 08-Jan-13 17:04:11

Thank you for your thoughts. All completely new to me.

My Husband is self employed too and he is set up as a limited company. Do you know how this would work with the vouchers?

galwaygirl Tue 08-Jan-13 17:13:02

You could both pay your childcare provider £243 directly from your limited companies.

MrAnchovy Tue 08-Jan-13 17:14:06

My Husband is self employed too and he is set up as a limited company. Do you know how this would work with the vouchers?

1. talk to your DH's accountant about using his company for your work if he is doing something similar - may make sense, may not

2. talk to your DH's accountant about childcare vouchers, if you think that the childcare you use will be able to take them

3. if your DH hasn't got an accountant, get one

4. if your DH's accountant doesn't know about childcare vouchers, get another one and/or talk to a provider - I recommend Kiddivouchers.

scaredbutexcited Thu 10-Jan-13 15:12:19

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now