Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

No notification / letter through about CB

(5 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 07-Jan-13 13:38:57

Recommend this SA software to everyone that'll listen (not on a commission, honest)... TaxCalc. I always seem to get a rebate..

sheeplikessleep Mon 07-Jan-13 12:41:19

Thank you! That's given me food for thought, thank you. As he isn't at 60k, then we will keep claiming it and just get DH to fill in a self assessment form. I'll talk to him about increasing pension too (as we don't put anywhere near enough in at the moment either!).
Thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 07-Jan-13 11:23:49

If your DH earns between £50k and £60k the best advice is to do nothing now but request a SA form to fill in after April 5th (deadline Jan 2014). He can reduce the amount he has to pay back by increasing pension contribs. He can also claim tax relief on those extra contribs.

If you're planning to opt out entirely you've potentially got the rest of the week to give notice depending on when your CB would normally be paid into your account.

they have not managed to send out letters to 300,000 affected people. You dont need to wait for a letter to sort things out though as all the info is online.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefitcharge/entitlementchanges.htm - you have to decide whether to keep claiming child benefit and then your dh would have to do a self assessment tax return or whether you would opt out of payments (but if he earns between 50 and 60K then you wouldnt lose the full CB anyway).

The deadline for opting out is today.

sheeplikessleep Mon 07-Jan-13 10:05:45

Should everyone have had one?

DH earns between £50k and £60k, so I was expecting a letter through by now.

Do I have to chase it up? If so, who with?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now