Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Gas and electricity costs. Who are you with and how much per month?

(36 Posts)
lottie63 Fri 04-Jan-13 05:16:39

I ask because I wonder if I'm paying too much?

We're with Scottish Power and paying £100/month DD.

Varya Sun 06-Jan-13 18:01:49

Mdm size old semi; DG and loft/walls insulated. £23 a month elec, £35 a month gas. Will be more next time as prices have gone up. DH home in the day but no heat except am and late a/noon/evening. Just wear more layers!

insancerre Sat 05-Jan-13 18:17:45

£131 with Eon- 4 bed detached
16 and 23 year olds on laptops, ps3, etc etc [sigh]

BridgetJonesPants Sat 05-Jan-13 18:12:52

Was £140 p/m with NPower & recently changed to Scottish Power fixed for 2 years, currently paying £103 p/m.

We're in Scotland in a big 4 bedroom Victorian upper flat, high ceilings, big draughty windows & not the best insulation. Have A rated condensing boiler but it's 8 years old now so probably no longer rating an A.

Heating on 7.30am - 8.30am and again from 3.00pm - 10.30pm but thermostat set to 19/20 degrees so goes on/off during these times.

forevergreek Sat 05-Jan-13 10:16:58

Southern gas/ electric, only £26 a month for both. Small flat

benbobaggins Sat 05-Jan-13 10:04:00

I'm with the co-op and pay £71 a month gas and electric, I'm always in credit as I'm quite frugal with electricity but heating gets put on when we need it.

Am in a 2 bedroom flat smile

TheSecondComing Fri 04-Jan-13 22:22:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Adversecamber Fri 04-Jan-13 21:39:45

Sorry it is 1,100 per year not per month!

Adversecamber Fri 04-Jan-13 21:37:51

Estimated bill 1,100 with NPower for 3 bed semi. Heating on 7 till 8.30 and then 3 till 9. We often have the thermostat on at 18 though so guessing that makes a difference, thinking of a mate that has her heating always ramped up to 24. As it is mild today I have had heating off all day.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 04-Jan-13 21:10:59

I got an electricity monitor from my utility company once. It's hooked up to meter with a digital read-out you can put somewhere you can see it. With one of those you can quickly see what your 'background' electricity usage is when everything is switched off except the fridge, and what appliances spike the read-out. Recommend that....

Insulation is another way to bring down bills. The Energy Saving Trust has various information. Then there are things like radiator thermostats, lowering the temperature of your hot water tank, updating your central heating boiler...

gailforce1 Fri 04-Jan-13 20:22:06

Thank you. will def get a quote from them and will have confidence in changing to them now!

AwkwardSquad Fri 04-Jan-13 19:52:27

Co-op Energy, £55 per month gas and electric. Small two-up, two down terrace. I think Co-op Energy are great. Might not be the absolute cheapest but they are efficient, fair, and customer service has been really good. And you are a part-owner because you join the co-op!

wellilikemytwinklinglights Fri 04-Jan-13 19:23:15

Ovo for both gas and elec £111 3 bed, family of 4. Always someone in, dishwasher on every other day same as dryer always in credit.

financialwizard Fri 04-Jan-13 19:14:52

E.on 4 bed detached. £106 per month until they hit us with an increase in March. Heating is on constant at 12 and put up to 20 for 2 hours in the evening.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 04-Jan-13 19:11:00

Its been over a year now and no problems at all. Transfer to them was easy, online billing and you can sumit your own readings online for accuracy.

Theres a new feature which allows you to make one off payments by card so you can add extra for winter or reduce balance if ddm not covering.

I like using a smaller utility company as they have no large shareholders and my prices have barely changed, in fact electric went down in price.

Did my quote online before we moved using past readings and they are cheaper than our old companies. Would highly recommend them.

gailforce1 Fri 04-Jan-13 19:00:11

HappyMummyOfOne how are you finding co-op energy? Have been thinking of getting a quote from them and would be interested to know.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 04-Jan-13 15:26:18

We use co-op energy, ddm is around £60 a month although i thinkit should be set a little higher to cover gas in winter.

A small 2/3 bed end terrace house. Loft insulation and double glazing.
A new ish A+ rated fridge freezer, no tumble dryer (it died sad), energy saving light bulbs etc.

I guess the big help was the HA replacing the bolier with a new energy saving combi one.

I'm in Herts.

Trills Fri 04-Jan-13 10:57:02

Npower - 2 bed end terrace - Currently paying £90/month

Only moved here in August so it's an estimate, may go up or down

3 days a week there's nobody here in the day - 2 days a week I work from home.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Fri 04-Jan-13 10:51:03

are you in a small house/flat in a warm place? How on earth is the payment so small?

Mine Dishwasher?? Yes. £15 on gas, £27 on elec.

M25Meltdown Fri 04-Jan-13 10:38:30

No idea.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Fri 04-Jan-13 10:37:50

is that for combined gas/electric though?

EDF Blue price promise fixed till April 2014.
Bill just gone down to £42 a month. £90 of credit still.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Fri 04-Jan-13 10:36:00

£100 sounds ok to me. We are in Scotland and pay £135 for both - heating on 6-10am and 5-10pm and off overnight. We have a thermostat though so the heating will click on and off as required.

redlac Fri 04-Jan-13 10:32:33

Scottishpower £85 per month for gas and leccy. (2 adults 1 dd 2.5 bedroom mid terrance) Are you tied into a deal? If you register online you can keep an eye on how much you are in credit and if its a lot you can ask for a cheque or get them to reduce the dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now