Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car Insurance - massive premium rise

(18 Posts)
RoseWei Mon 31-Dec-12 18:27:52

Just had letter from Endsleigh with quote for upcoming year - £925.00. About £700 more than last year ..... and nothing has changed.

Did price comparison - Endsleigh comes up as roughly same as what we've been paying this past year.

Have emailed them to ask them to explain the huge discrepancy.

Anyone else this experience? It should be challenged because some people might just fall into the trap of renewing at this infinitely higher amount.

On a related note - does anyone know a CI firm where it doesn't cost more - or much more - to pay by monthly debits? Thanks!

hatgirl Mon 31-Dec-12 18:43:14

I had this with a different insurance company.

They couldn't have cared less.

youngermother1 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:03:09

Make sure you cancel with them because if you don't the can auto renew at the quoted price.

specialsubject Mon 31-Dec-12 20:33:00

loyalty is for suckers now. Time for some comparison sites and so on.

LadyMaryChristmas Mon 31-Dec-12 20:46:16

Actually, all female drivers will notice that their premiums have gone up. The EC have ruled that insurance companies are not allowed to give women a discount on the basis that they are safer drivers as it's unfair to men. Men will have lower insurance, women will have higher sounds like utter bollocks to me It was on the news about a month ago. Google it.

Sorry.

LadyMaryChristmas Mon 31-Dec-12 20:47:29
nocake Mon 31-Dec-12 20:48:14

Why email them? I doubt you'll get a reply. Get some cheaper quotes and go with one of them.

hatgirl Mon 31-Dec-12 20:58:55

Mine was before the equality thing - it is just the done thing for insurance companies to try and get you to auto renew at a higher price because they are losing money trying to get the business in the first place by underquoting for price comparison websites. Loyal customers get penalised, new customers get the bargins. Fine for people who are price comparison savvy and get the best price each year, not so great for loyal customers who don't realise they are being charged.

I challenged my insurance company over it last year and basically got a (i suppose very honest) response stating the above (!) and that they were not going to offer to reduce the auto renew amount to what a new customer would be offered and that if I wasn't happy with that then they appreciated I would get a better deal elsewhere. They were polite and apologetic but made it clear that they couldn't afford to offer existing customers good deals - very different to a few years ago when they would offer anything to keep your business!

RoseWei Mon 31-Dec-12 22:00:28

Thanks all - actually, this was a quote for DH with me as additional driver. The hike is huge - I'm more concerned for people who will simply pay up -

Younger - thanks - will cancel right now - just in case.
Hatgirl - I admire the company for their honesty but I still can't get over the massive difference in cost that no doubt you too were quoted in your renew letter.

sausagesandwich34 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:03:37

elephant did that to me

I rang them and they dropped it to the comparison site price without a quibble

does anyone just stick with the same insurance company?

quote day is an anual event!

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Mon 31-Dec-12 22:08:28

Elephant normally price match any of their sister company prices that come up on price comparison websites e.g. Admiral, Diamond, Bell insurance. I have stayed with Elephant but they price matched Admiral last year as it came up cheaper.

Rikalaily Mon 31-Dec-12 22:17:40

Direct Line did this to dp last year, wanted double what he was paying, from £1k to £2k a year. He cancelled and went with Admiral for £950 a year.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:38:13

Check out aviva, my insurance company wanted £420, aviva quoted £237 and quidco gave me £80 cashback.

I checked my quotes again after the price rise and mine hasn't changed, I think it's younger women who are affected.

Also try putting one of your parents on as an additional driver too, we used to put dh's dad down as an additional driver for both of us.

Gasmark4 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:42:24

Always shop around now - use Tesco comparison site.
Its a pity but staying loyal to an insurer costs you!

ginmakesitallok Tue 01-Jan-13 11:43:20

Mine has just renewed with Direct Line - no increase. I've been with them for about 15 years!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Jan-13 13:19:56

Gin, have you checked with a comparison site to see if anyone's cheaper? Foil has been with the same insurers for years but pays double what I could get him if he let us.

He thinks if you change insurers you lose all NCD and start again.

I am dreading renewing mine in March. If it goes up i'm going to have to get rid of my car sad

VivaLeBeaver Tue 01-Jan-13 13:35:04

I've had this.

Halifax renewal went up from £250 to £600. Did moneysupermarket thing and Halifax quote was about £250.

So I cancelled it, took out a new policy with them and got a meerkat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now