Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

i am so STUPID!!!!!!!

(24 Posts)
oscarthegrouch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:02:26

I had no idea it was an offence to not change my address on my driving licence and it's still registered at my family home where i still receive a lot of my post. Anyway I went to change it today having discovered this and it required that I tell them how long I've been at current address which is a year and 6 months. Does anyone know anything about this? the fine can be up to £1000!! Im absolutely terrified!

Tortington Mon 31-Dec-12 14:03:44

lie

whistlestopcafe Mon 31-Dec-12 14:06:11

Dh has only just around to changing his and we moved 15 years ago. It was fine.

I must change mine...

oscarthegrouch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:06:13

its done already, they can check up on where you're living and my farking insurance is at this address

hopefully because I have now done it and its still my dad's house so I have access to any correspondence they will go easy on me

im so worried sad

mynameis Mon 31-Dec-12 14:06:46

I'm sure it will be fine. I would imagine its only a problem if you had committed a motoring offence registered at the old address

oscarthegrouch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:06:50

whistlestopcafe, i could kiss you

oscarthegrouch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:08:28

same to mynameis! you dont know how relieved i feel after those 2 posts!!

mynameis Mon 31-Dec-12 14:14:12

smile I know that after a year at my current address I'm still changing my address on things blush

jimswifein1964 Mon 31-Dec-12 14:16:39

I got a provisional 21 yes ago, at parents address, & I've never changed it - I don't even know where the licence is. I've been resting on my laurels because its still my family home ie not a stranger living there.

notnagging Mon 31-Dec-12 14:18:25

It will be fine. It's your parents house, you haven't tried to evade them.

LegoAcupuncture Mon 31-Dec-12 14:20:42

I changed my name and address...4 years after I married and moved 2 times. Don't fret about it.

wonkylegs Mon 31-Dec-12 14:21:36

DH changed his last year as his licence was falling apart (old paper one) his was still registered at his parents address. He left home 19yrs ago, I'd been nagging him to change it for approx 11!!!
No issues, but he would have been fined if stopped by the police.

delilahbelle Mon 31-Dec-12 14:24:43

I only changed mine when we bought our first place together, just left it registered to my parent's address before that. Had an accident with the police involved too during that time, and they didn't care.

Trills Mon 31-Dec-12 14:24:53

It'll be fine.

Not because it's your parents' address, but because the way they have found out about you having it at the wrong address is by you telling them I need to change my address.

oscarthegrouch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:33:46

phew is all i can say! my sister is laughing at me thinking the police are gonna knock my door in and arrest me! ha

WeAllHaveWings Mon 31-Dec-12 14:39:59

changed mine in a hurry last year after being caught by speeding camera blush.

the car was registered to dh at new address so ticket came to right place, but hadnt changed my license.

have been living at new address for 8 years and they didnt fine me for not changing sooner (and thankfully got license back before time was up to pay fine/receive points!)

oscarthegrouch Mon 31-Dec-12 14:45:12

i honestly thought everyone was going to tell me what an idiot I am!

RoseWei Mon 31-Dec-12 18:20:52

DH changed his name by deed poll about 3 years ago - not a major change but a change. Hasn't got round to telling DVLA - worried about possible fine now - but these posts are encouraging.

~even wondered about doing another deed poll to superceed earlier one and getting round it that way - obviously needs to do something fast.

SecretSantaFix Mon 31-Dec-12 18:22:47

MY DH only upgraded to a picture license earlier this year. We have been living together for nearly eleven years, not at his parents address either!

You would only get a fine if you were stopped by the police.

Oo, really glad about the reassurance here - mine's 13 years out of date address-wise and I've been putting off changing that ever since I read about the potential fine! I'll get on to it later in the week smile

oscarthegrouch Sat 12-Jan-13 01:15:47

Just a recap license arrived no queries no problems grin

tink123 Sat 12-Jan-13 11:22:07

I would change it asap as I didn't and got stopped for not wearing seatbelt. I ended up getting a formal written caution from police for not changing my address. No action was taken for seatbelt offence.

tink123 Sat 12-Jan-13 11:22:34

Sorry, just read you already have smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now