Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt collection letter, but no idea of debt!!

(12 Posts)
TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Sat 15-Dec-12 20:59:09

If its MH it will be a mis trace. They are chancing you might be the right person and call in.

CockBollocks Sat 15-Dec-12 20:45:46

Ahhh it is Mackenzie Hall - I was a little scared to contact them as I have had dealings before with a collection agency & their tactics.

Looked on the National Debt Website instead smile

Thanks

fergoose Fri 14-Dec-12 14:47:27

is it mackenzie hall? - if so chances are debt is not yours. If so you can ignore.

atacareercrossroads Mon 10-Dec-12 14:03:05

What does the debt company say when you speak to them? I've had this and it took a few calls and a letter to clear it up.

JambalayaWarmMincePie Mon 10-Dec-12 13:49:28

My mum had this, but it was only for a few hundred pounds. A total scam - they obviously hoped that they would scare people enough into just panic-paying. The debt was for landline phone services when there was no landline present so she knew straight away it wasn't real.

A 'debt' of thousands seems much more likely to be a case of mistaken identity.

keli5325 Mon 10-Dec-12 13:43:12

Just phone them and tell them that the debt is not yours and remove you from their records

It is likey to be a debt of someone who has the same name and similar date of birth

KindleMum Mon 10-Dec-12 13:31:19

Have you googled the company that sent it or their phone number - lots of websites out there that should show you if it's commonly linked to a scam.

TheHoneyDragonsDrunkInTheIvy Mon 10-Dec-12 13:24:05

if you have no £5k debt and nothing on your credit file than its either incredibly incredibly old debt, or, and this is much more likely a mis-trace and they are sending out the letter as you have the same name as the person the debt belongs to.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Mon 10-Dec-12 13:19:33

What company is it?

LadyKooKoo Mon 10-Dec-12 13:13:35

Bit more info needed. What sort of debt is it? Have you ever had an account with the people who claim you owe them money?

3monkeys3 Mon 10-Dec-12 12:19:34

Scam maybe? I don't think it can be legitimate if it isn't on your credit report!

CockBollocks Mon 10-Dec-12 10:57:03

I have had two threatening letters re a debt of £5000 that i know nothing of!

I have checked my credit report and it does not appear on there. What should I do?

Could bailiffs turn up when I know nothing of the debt?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now