Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

homemade super cheap christmas gift ideas

(7 Posts)
cheapandchic Mon 03-Dec-12 13:31:48

I literally cannot afford to get my parents anything. So I am trying to think of something my toddler or I can make...

any suggestions? ideas?

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Mon 03-Dec-12 13:51:36

We've made people Christmas biscuits before now. Find a simple Shrewsbury biscuit recipe to which you add Mixed Spice to make them taste Christmassy. Use a star/tree-shaped cutter if you have it (or regular cutter or upturned tea-cup) if you don't. Dip in melted chocolate and add sparkly sugar-strands if you're feeling extravagant. Present in a decorated box.

Mum2Fergus Mon 03-Dec-12 19:23:29

How about homemade truffles? DC can get involved in the mixing/shaping/coating. Presented in a nice box or bag...

3plus2 Mon 17-Dec-12 12:04:12

Knit a hat or gloves each ? U could do a hat in an evening using scraps if wool? if you can knit would help

ihategeorgeosborne Mon 17-Dec-12 20:25:57

How about a nice photo of you and the dc? You could get a decent cheap frame to put it in, or alternatively you could make one yourself from cardboard and decorate the borders. I'm doing photos this year as presents for close family.

wafflingworrier Mon 17-Dec-12 20:47:36

may be a little late but check out your local pund stretcher type shop, you can normaly get daffodil bulbs quite cheap+a pot-if flower pots are too expensive use an old mug/try a charity shop, plant as many as will fit with some soil from your garden and if the pot/cup it's in can take it, paint it with your toddler as well?
could do the same with flower seeds or if you cant afford to buy any then you can use sunflower seeds that you buy in tesco etc.

or a "happy box", just an old jam jar that you fill with little things like pieces of paper folded up with nice quotes in/things to do/I.O.Us and some sweets, it could be like a january advent calendar to help them get through the month after christmas? your toddler could help by painting the jar or contributing to what goes in.

didireallysaythat Mon 17-Dec-12 21:02:08

Bird seed feeder.

http://www.likemamusedtobake.com/2012/11/14/bird-cakes-on-like-mam-used-to-bake/

I got the seed from the market (I think £1 for 1kg), followed the instructions, dead simple just don't use a small fiddly cutter. And I used a paint brush to cover it with oil so it slid off easily. I made these with my 6 year old for everyone in the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now