Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Affordable clothes?

(17 Posts)
BabysPointlessPocket Fri 30-Nov-12 13:46:58

Matalan are quite decent for kids too.
I would also say, h&m and bhs

forevergreek Fri 30-Nov-12 13:40:48

H and m are a good price and do organic cotton etc if you don't like man made fibres much. Otherwise most woollen/ merino/ natural fibre clothes are easiest found online tbh depending on where you live

purplecrayon Fri 30-Nov-12 13:39:28

Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys. Have had nice stuff from all these places, the odd crap item - red leggings from Asda that the dye came out of onto dd's legs! (they had been washed and properly dried!)

wonkylegs Fri 30-Nov-12 13:37:04

George at asda's pretty good. Fab quality I have a 4yo DS and his George stuff stands up to wear & tear and washing the best out of all his clothes. It's also cheap & cheerful.

Boden - it's cheap at the moment with 50% off - buy for next year.

ihategeorgeosborne Fri 30-Nov-12 13:32:34

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with H & M, particularly if there's a sale on. I picked up some dresses in the sale for next summer for £1.99. Also got dd a lovely party dress for £3.99. It really is very cheap when the sales are on. Quality is pretty good too. Have just picked up a few items in Oxfam today too. Obviously, you don't always strike lucky, but definitely worth popping in frequently. I got a boden fleece for my son for £1.49!

noisytoys Fri 30-Nov-12 11:51:00

I would go for next if you pass clothes down to siblings they are pretty indestructible I find next passed down is cheaper in the long run than primark

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Nov-12 07:47:33

No-one's mentioned George at ASDA...

Shells Fri 30-Nov-12 06:48:27

Thanks everyone. Lots of good ideas there.

EBay has lots of new without tags clothes that are decent brands.

Supermarkets for wellies and slippers.

foofooyeah Fri 30-Nov-12 04:48:44

Zara have some lovely childrens clothes, bit more than supermarket but nice qualiyy and wash well.

Fairylea Fri 30-Nov-12 04:45:32

Next and suchlike are still quite expensive really. In my opinion anyway!

I'd go for primark, Tesco and eBay!

KateByChristmas Fri 30-Nov-12 04:43:39

Just re-read your post I would say start with Next or debenhams smile

VestaCurry Fri 30-Nov-12 04:43:17

Agree with the TU recommendation.

VestaCurry Fri 30-Nov-12 04:42:38

I was incredibly surprised at how great the kids clothes were in M & Co. I had not been in there before. Very affordable prices, much much cheaper than the usual places I shop for children's clothes (Gap, M&S, Boden).

I always try to buy during the sales, so eg in January I'll be buying for next winter. Boden is too expensive to pay full price for.

If you sign up to the email list of shops, you will get alerts as to when the sales start.

KateByChristmas Fri 30-Nov-12 04:41:37

Primark would be the cheapest - give it a try it is a bit cluttered etc sometimes but when you look at the price tags you can't grumble - it's dirt cheap! (Wellies probably £5) hmm not sure on the fibres etc though hmm

TU at Sainsburys is very good and if you're quick there is 25% off all clothing! (Wellies prob start at £7)

I know it's not very popular on here but I find Next reasonably priced (wellies would start at £8) and good quality that always lasts and washes very well.

Shells Fri 30-Nov-12 04:25:42

Hi, have just moved here from abroad and the DCs need slippers, wellies, jeans etc. I want reasonable quality, don't care about brand names, don't like lots of manmade fibres. Obviously would love them all to be wearing gorgeous clothes, but its not going to happen due to budget.
Where should I shop?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now