Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credit bands

(10 Posts)
mercibucket Fri 30-Nov-12 10:10:27

Aren't they meant to work on your income after pension deductions not before? Did you tell them your income before pension deductions were made? Phone back and ask if you should have told them the amount you actually get once your pension has been paid. If you make charitable donations, those come off your income as well, or used to

mercibucket Fri 30-Nov-12 10:10:27

Aren't they meant to work on your income after pension deductions not before? Did you tell them your income before pension deductions were made? Phone back and ask if you should have told them the amount you actually get once your pension has been paid. If you make charitable donations, those come off your income as well, or used to

Jbocco Fri 30-Nov-12 10:03:52

Hi, this is strange because i have been on the link you gave me, and it says i am entitled to £12 more than what they are giving me, which means it would be worth me carrying on with my present job as I would only loose a couple of pound per week. I think the best thing to do is keep my appointment with CAB and see if they can sort it out, because I have rang the tax credits again, and they don't seem to have a clue ! I will let you know how I get on, and thanks again everyone !!

Sorry, the 6.5K is household income not necessarily what an individual earns.

Basically you lose 41p of tax credits for every pound you earn over about 6.5K. It means the marginal tax rate is very high (especially for people earning enough to pay tax and NI) which is apparently something that Universal Credit is supposed to deal with when it is introduced next year.

Jbocco Thu 29-Nov-12 16:13:58

well ive checked the link you gave me and something seems wrong somewhere, ive made a appointment with the CAB in a couple of weeks, but to be honest if I am only earning half of what I earn, it seems pointless, as it is such a low amount anyway ! thanks for the advice, ill let you know what the CAB work out !

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 15:13:42

Generally, the bigger the household income the lower the Tax Credit award. Not quite £1 for £1 but it's definitely a sliding scale.

Jbocco Thu 29-Nov-12 15:00:59

No, i have a husband who works 37 hours a week, I really did not think that working a 5 hour week would affect us so much ! I will try the link thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 14:59:35

Have you run your details through the Turn2Us Benefits Checker? link here Are you the sole earner in the family or do you have a partner?

Jbocco Thu 29-Nov-12 14:51:47

Can anybody help me, i have started working as a dinner lady, 5 hours a week, earning roughly £30 a week, before pension. My child tax credit has been cut by £14 a week, which after the pension has been taken off leaves me with less than half what I earn, this means I am going to work for £3 an hour, has anybody else come across this. My employer told me it may be something to do with tax credit bands, but I have searched and I cannot find anywhere where it tells me the different brands. Can anyone help please ! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now