Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Insurance Claim: Can I include fuel costs to fix an item and delivery costs for new items?

(5 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Thu 29-Nov-12 11:38:50

Our cat spectacularly knocked our TV off the tv cabinet causing mayhem and damage to more than just the TV!

Insurance covers it all as accidental damage and they have taken the TV and speakers off for inspection/report, sending me a form to claim for some other non-electrical items which got caught in the crossfire (some toys, photo frame, headphones).

1. The ipad front is cracked where it was caught by the TV as it fell (near it charging). Still works fine but needs the front screen replacing. It is still in warranty and so insurance company have agreed that we can take it directly to Apple/genuis bar for them to report on damage/fixing cost, as if their own engineer touches it, the warranty becomes invalidated. If we have to pay for the report the insurance company will re-imburse this within the claim.

Problem is, the nearest Apple store (and the one where it was purchased) is quite a long way and will cost a little bit in fuel. Can we charge this back in costs under the insurance claim?

2. I can claim for an Ikea storage box (which is surprisingly expensive to replace, like £20 shock) that was damaged as the TV landed on it, but the nearest Ikea shop is even further away than the Apple shop! (live in the SW), it will be cheaper to have it delivered. Can I include the delivery cost in the cost to replace?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 14:16:36

I'd recommend that you get Apple to collect the I-pad and assess for repairs so that the full cost of collection and delivery is included in the reimbursement. Similar for the IKEA item. Far easier to present a bill that is all-inclusive than to try claiming for fuel.

PavlovtheCat Thu 29-Nov-12 14:33:01

Oh, I didn't think of that! I didn't really consider that they would collect it! Will get Dh to call them. We have already had to rearrange taking it to Apple twice due to flood and travel warnings. I mean, it's not huge, only like £15 fuelto Apple, fiver delivery charge from ikea, but it makes a difference esp with having to pay excess. And avoids us taking special trip and time to get there.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 15:14:38

I should say that I have no idea if they'll collect smile But when my laptop needed fixing, a local repairer collected it and dropped it back off.

ClareMarriott Thu 29-Nov-12 16:55:04

If you have supplied the insurance company with the completed claim form, any original invoices and/or manuals for the items you are claiming and they have agreed that you can send in replacement invoices, I would say that any fuel costs and/or delivery costs can be included as basically you are looking to be put back in the position you were before your cat launched themselves at the TV. !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now