Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can someone help me cut down on my weekly food shop?

(41 Posts)
cheapandchic Tue 27-Nov-12 12:21:56

we are struggling with money and I spend about 100-120 per week on food/nappy/cleaning, etc and I have two young children and husband.

I dont drive. so usually I end up with delivery, organic veg boxes, ocado, sainsbury. I realise that many people recommend aldi or asda but there is no shop near me. There is a Lidl, but its so difficult to get there and back with a toddler and baby and shopping...so I end up getting just a few things.

Please offer some tips on spending on the weekly shop. I keep thinking I could be saving...

Varya Sun 06-Jan-13 17:49:23

Was amazed to find a product which cost £3.80 in Tesco was £2.00 in Wilkinsons! Just one of many price differences with Wilko always cheaper and this was a branded product too.

slev Wed 02-Jan-13 12:29:30

If you do your shopping online, that should actually be easier as you know how much you're spending as you go along so no excuses!

We do two things in our house. Firstly check all the offers before you start shopping and plan your weekly food around these. That way it's not so much a case of crossing your fingers that what you want is on offer, but making sure that what is on offer is what you want, if that makes sense.

Our other thing is to set a weekly budget (£100 in our case for us, DS and two cats - don't laugh, they're the most expensive!). If the Ocado shop comes to more, we go through the trolley before checkout and either downgrade something or simply remove it if we don't need it (you'd be surprised how much you can do without when you give yourself a target). And then on the freaky weeks when we spend under, we'll top up with nappies, cleaning products etc. and put them to one side so that we don't have to get them another week - just keeps the bill the same each week.

But I'd also agree with other posters about the merits of jacket potatoes etc. over expensive meat and fish. We're the same as you and only buy organic, but it ain't cheap - if you don't want to compromise on the quality, just reduce the quantity.

buildingmycorestrength Tue 01-Jan-13 18:11:46

The main thing that has helped me save money on the weekly shop is asking hubbie do it.

I've been ill for a few months and wasn't coping. Food was major stress, so I asked if he could take over meal planning and online shopping. Amazing difference.

It just isn't as emotionally loaded for him, and he works well with lists and plans and seems to relish the challenge of sticking to a budget (I do NOT).

Takes him about 30 min twice a week while he is watching telly. I just cook the meals.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 01-Jan-13 15:52:42

Not sure if been said already but amazon subscribe and save I'd fab for nappies, wipes, washing powder etc and you can cancel as soon as you get a delivery if you want and still save. I got toothpaste on there yesterday with free delivery.

FundusCrispyPancake Tue 01-Jan-13 15:45:50

I wouldn't buy things like chicken breasts, it is really wasteful. buy a whole chicken then use breasts for one meal, legs/thighs for next then make stock with the carcass and make a third meal with that and the carcass pickings.

If you like to cook with fresh veg the.n the boxes are actually better value than Supermarket veg. So I would continue buying organic and make savings on things like cleaning products. Most of them are unnecessary anyway, you can get things just as clean with elbow grease.

Cloth nappys also save money in the long term, depends how old your dc are and how many.

I used to live in London, for the stuff we bought I found Tesco to be cheapest and to have the most deals (especially on baby stuff, nappies).

Definitely do the pound shop for cleaning products, soap, shampoo, any household stuff.

I understand your husband works late but what about the weekends? You can save soooo much money by going to fruit/veg markets and there are Lidl all over London now.

For snacks, the DC are better off eating fruit/veg/yogurt anyway.

julieann42 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:20:15

I buy some of the basics cereals and decant into plastic cereal containers..DH and DS ate them up as Normal but had they known they were the cheapest of the cheap they wouldn't have touched them! My DS prefers the basics bread...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sun 02-Dec-12 22:20:34

once you have inputted your list to my supermarket. it asks you to pay or split your basket. i assume split your basket means shop at 2 supermarkets. you would have to factor in delivery though. tesco do a click & collect thing so you could order online & dh could collect

WildWorld2004 Fri 30-Nov-12 21:15:29

I dont shop on mysupermarket so i am not sure if you can. What i do is use it to compare. It compares 4 supermarkets and it tells you how much you would spend at each one. I fill up my basket & then print out my two nearest supermarkets and then i can work out what products are cheapest and in which supermarket. It does take time but it helps me save money.

cheapandchic Fri 30-Nov-12 20:11:56

ooh. I like the idea of hiding the fact that things are 'basics'.

in mysupermarket can you shop at two different places?

fossil97 Fri 30-Nov-12 18:16:37

It's hard to say without seeing your menu how much "top end" stuff you are buying. Some people wouldn't dream of not having real butter, or branded coffee, or always keeping the house stocked with wine/crisps/snacks. Others would think all those things a luxury.

Online shopping should be ideal - you will definitely be able to get an Asda or Tesco delivery and there is little noticeable difference in 99% of the items to Waitrose I'm sure. Mysupermarket is the business, IME, and it's better and quicker than supermarket own sites. Plan out your meals, (fortnight better than week), fill up the online trolley for those, see how much money you have left of your budget and then you really have to choose extras accordingly.

People have survived having own brand cereals, non organic milk and cheapo shampoo for whole years gringrin Your DH needs to get with the plan or decide what else to cut out on!

Don't make hard work for yourself as well - no point trailing round a market if you have to pay for the tube and a Starbucks afterwards!

I get 12 mini boxes of raisins for DD for £1 in the pound shop! I also buy all my cleaning products/washing up liquid and snacky bits in there! So much cheaper.

Narked Fri 30-Nov-12 17:50:51

How much are you spending on meat/week?
How much are you spending on nappies/toiletries
How much are you soending on snacks?

If you split it up like that ^ you'll see the areas that are the worst overspends. Some of it is probably going to be you learning to stick to a list though. There's nothing that says you can't buy your meat once a month and freeze it and do your other shops from eg Tesco or Lidl.

WildWorld2004 Fri 30-Nov-12 17:44:42

I use the website mysupermarket. It helps compare supermarkets.

Also the money you save shopping in lidl or aldi & then gettin a taxi might still be cheaper than what you are doing at the moment.

I am just about to do a monthly shop for me & dd. i have estimated that it will be around £100.

Lastly. How about you buy cheap range but dont tell your dh. Put the cereal in an old named brand box or in a plastic tub. A lot of people dont know the difference if they are not told.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 30-Nov-12 17:43:02

the experts always say move down one notch at a time, so if you by taste the difference stuff, move down to standard range, if you buy standard range, move down to basics.

I was was wondering today if those veg shops are any cheaper (worth the extra journey) than supermarkets. Anyone?

cheapandchic Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:18

how does my supermarket work? do you like it?

bangersmashandbeans Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:12

My little tip is to not do cleaning products or cosmetic type things with your normal shop but go to pound land or wilkinsons - they are so so much cheaper.

purplewithred Fri 30-Nov-12 17:31:32

Check if asda will deliver to your postcode; use them for branded stuff; buy things that won't go off in the largest sizes and on deal. Meal plan. check out mysupermarket.com.

TrinityRhino Fri 30-Nov-12 17:31:19

shop online at tesco
buy only value brand
bulk cook and freeze

pinkyp Fri 30-Nov-12 17:29:53

I spend £60 approx for my dh & 2 young dc's that includes packed lunches etc. If u get delivered shipping go for offers and switch brand on things like dried pasta / lasenga sheets, spaghetti etc as value ones cost a fraction of the price and taste same. Perhaps by more frozen veg than fresh then u can eat a mixture and won't have to waste any u don't use, perhaps try and have 2/3 cheaper meals a week (pasta bake, pizza baguettes etc.

cheapandchic Fri 30-Nov-12 17:24:11

I am in London, but there is no way I am hauling off to the shop on foot in the freezing cold during my only free time (9-10pm).

Ok so I went and compared my ocado shop to a sainsbury shop. I saved 7.00, but another 7 or so if I included sainsbury own nappy and wipes.

But this was buying their 'basics' range. I agree ocado is not worse than any other if you buy name brands...but ocado doesnt have a super cheap line like sainsbury.

my husband hates soup...have no clue why. But I love it. So yes, more big roasts should be an idea. Husband will also complain about non name brand cereals...but until he makes more money...tough!

ok. so no more raisin boxes or kiddie treats. no name brand cereals, wipes, nappy, soap, shampoo, soda. Fruit and veg from turkish local. More big roasts. More vegetarian meals. Less cleaning products. wish me luck. I have never been this broke.

Badvocsanta Thu 29-Nov-12 17:43:40

Erm ocado is cheaper than tesco!!

Meal planning will make a difference.

Use meat as a flavouring rather than the main point of your meal. For example, you can make a lovely stir fry for 4-6 with 2 chicken breasts (or, even better, 3-4 chicken thighs --if your DH isn't a freak who refuses to eat anything but breast meat--). Bulk it out with loads of veg (you can use frozen if necessary) and serve with a mound of rice. If you half to amount of meat you serve per person in each meal, you'll see a big difference.

You can easily get 3 meals for a family of 4 out of a roast chicken (or a roast anything). One of them will usually be soup.

And include a couple of tasty veggie dishes each week.

Plan meals so there'll be leftovers for lunch the next day.

LadyKooKoo Wed 28-Nov-12 19:46:18

Where are you? I can't think of anywhere that doesn't have 24 hour shops now.

cheapandchic Wed 28-Nov-12 14:05:52

i cant get to my shops in the evening. husband rarely get home before 8pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now