Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Baliff help for my poor mum ASAP pls

(9 Posts)
Julezboo Sat 24-Nov-12 09:08:43

My idiot brother had landed my mother in crap. As well as stealing over £500 from her over the last two weeks (she kicked him out on wed!) she has had th baliffs knocking at her door at half 7 this morning demanding just under £400. They have given her a few hours to get it sorted. She tracked down my brother to get his car but he admitted he has a log book loan on it. My poor mother is in bits sad it debt is for unpaid car fines and the car is registered at her address. What can she do? She's managed to get £58 off her sister. But my dad lost his job a few weeks ago when his company went bust x

JakeBullet Sat 24-Nov-12 09:10:40

Okay, this is not your mothers debt so for a start off the bailiffs cannot chase HER. She simply tells them your brother is no longer living there and they need to take it back to the court.
Tell her NOT to let them n under any circumstances.....this is not her debt.

Jakebullet is right, they have no legal right to chase someone not named on the debt. Tell her to call them, with contact details of him is she can, and tell them that the debt isn't her problem

Julezboo Sat 24-Nov-12 09:45:30

She already let them in sad The man was dressed like a police officer, all in black with a stab proof vest on. That cant be legal right?

She has tracked my brother down and has him in her car. He has an iPhone she is taking to cash converters to sell. But i know the screen is smashed. He has a log book loan on his car (his only posession) so im not sure if they can hand that over instead?

He's already stolen her money (over 500) in the last few weeks. I want to strangle him! He's 27 FFS

It doesn't matter whether she let them in. When they come back she can just call out from an upstairs window that he doesn't live there.

She doesn't have to give them money, she doesn't have to talk to them - are they proper bailiffs or just debt collectors?

Even if proper bailiffs they can't take HER stuff, it doesn't matter if the car is registered there or not.

colditz Sat 24-Nov-12 09:48:36

It doesn't matter if she already let them in, if she isn't named on the debt they aren't allowed to chase her for it.

Julezboo Sat 24-Nov-12 09:49:26

He is a court appointed bailiff I think. She lives in a bungalow. She's worried they will take her car and her business vehicle.

hopenglory Sat 24-Nov-12 09:51:53

Get her to stop and breathe for a minute. They cannot take her stuff, and certainly not her business vehicle for your brothers debt

Julezboo Sat 24-Nov-12 10:09:31

I've just spoken to my step dad. Im 200+ miles away so feeling pretty useless atm!

Ive told her not to let them in again. Just continue saying he doesnt live there anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now