Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

WWYD? 'Free' mobile

(9 Posts)
CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:04:56

I always settle my mobile phone bill with a credit card. For the last two months I've paid the bill as normal. The mobile phone company shows the payment received on the statement and a zero balance, but the credit card statements show no payment at all. Have paid for other things with the same credit card and they register no problem. So I'm effectively getting a free mobile. confused

So would you
a) Raise it with the phone company
b) Raise it with the credit card company
c) Keep quiet and hope no-one notices!

JakeBullet Sat 24-Nov-12 09:16:26

I am so tempted to say "C" but it's sods law that eventually somebody would notice.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:19:23

Every fibre of my being wants to say 'C' as well.... dammit, I never get the 'bank error in your favour' card, never!.... but have a horror of winding up with a big fat retrospective demand for payment.

greensnail Sat 24-Nov-12 09:23:22

Do c but put the money you would have spent on the phone bill in a savings account and don't touch it. Then you have the money there if they ask for it back, if not then you can keep it!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:33:47

What's even worse - I just realised - is that my employer reimburses me for the phone and I've been submitting the bills as normal. I'm going to have to fix this, aren't I? Do you think the error lies with the phone company who seems to think they have been paid or with the credit card company? My first thought is that it's the phone people because credit card companies tend to be quite switched on about recording transactions.

PopMusicShoobyDoobyDoA Mon 26-Nov-12 14:13:32

I'm one of those people who wished they had the chutzpah to say c, but would end up sorting it out. Yes, the phone company are the ones to approach.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 26-Nov-12 17:30:17

The plot thickens... The phone company help desk says they are perfectly happy that they have been paid by the credit card and I owe them nothing at all. The credit card company say there are no pending transactions, no money in holding accounts and they are also perfectly happy that I don't owe them anything..... ('perhaps you used a different card by mistake madam?' .. 'no I didn't but thank you for the implication that I don't know my arse from my elbow').

So that's that then. No-one wants my money smile Wonder how long this will carry on for? <drums fingers on table... whistles nonchalantly>

ratbagcatbag Tue 27-Nov-12 13:06:48

My car insurance was once being paid from a strangers bank account, I had submitted my dd instruction and they mistook a 3 for an 8, problem was car insurance getting paid and bank account stranger never complained. Took me ages to sort and then car insurance sent me an arsey letter eventually saying I was six months in debt. Errr do one, you only know about it as I complained forever. smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 27-Nov-12 15:07:47

I've used the same credit card to pay for this phone bill for about a year and it's only recently this has started to happen. I manually input the details each time I pay so it's not quite like your DD instruction where the data mistake carried on. On the same day, using the same card, I paid a few other work-related bills online. All of those went through without a hitch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now