Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Refused free schools meals - but we fit the criteria

(5 Posts)
Gottalovecosta Fri 23-Nov-12 17:39:59

My son has recently started at a special school, out of area.
I've been ringing to arrange free school meals for him - I am a full time university student with an NHS bursary and my husband is my son's full time carer.
I believe we fit the criteria as our household income is less than £16k and we get child tax credits with no working tax credits. However, our application has been turned down - just wondering if anyone else has had the same thing happen?

morethanpotatoprints Fri 23-Nov-12 19:28:28

This is a mistake as you are clearly entitled to free school meals.
I know several have been turned down because even though earnings were under the threshold they received WTC, but this is not your case,
I would get in touch and stress you don't receive WTC and ask why you have been refused.

noisytoys Fri 23-Nov-12 19:31:50

According to the school DD attends, if salary + child tax credit is greater than £16100 together then you are not eligible

MamaMimi Fri 23-Nov-12 19:49:08

We were refused free school meals once even though we met the criteria.

We received Child Tax Credit, not Working Tax credit, but we didn't have any income at all at the time and were living off savings so were not claiming other benefits. I don't think the system recognises you if you don't claim benefits such as JSA or IS, even though one of the criteria is 'if you are claiming CTC (not WTC) and have an income under the £16k'.

Obviously the decision was wrong, as it is for you, and we printed out the criteria off the County Council's website and then got in touch with the Council's free school meals department to complain and state our case.
Next thing we heard we had our claim accepted and received a cheque for school clothing allowance also - as it should have been.

So OP, don't accept the decision, get onto them for an explanation as to why you have been refused the allowance even though you clearly meet the criteria.

RedHelenB Fri 23-Nov-12 20:05:13

Did you send them the copy of your Child tax credit award?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now