Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits

(5 Posts)
chubbymomie2012 Thu 22-Nov-12 16:10:35

without going into personal details shortly after i found out I was pregnant with my 4th child i was newly Single. I had my wtc and ctc reassessed and was receiving £152 weekly. Due to a massive family issue and difficulty securing child care for the hours I work I have to take the 13 weeks unpaid leave offered by my employer.
I have just telephoned tax credit office and they said my wtc will stop all together. so my understanding is not only will I have no pay but my tax credits will really reduce significantly.
I have never applied for benefits before and wondered has anyone any experience of this?
Thanks

RedHelenB Thu 22-Nov-12 16:43:22

Shouldn't drop by that much surely? And no childcare to pay out for.

chubbymomie2012 Thu 22-Nov-12 18:53:35

Red, he said its only the ctc i will get and i cant claim anything else unless i resign. i dint want to resign just need a little longer to sort childcare.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 23-Nov-12 10:50:09

They seem to be understanding 'unpaid leave' to be that you permanently no longer work 16 hours per week when it sounds like just a temporary change. I'm assuming that, after the 13 weeks unpaid leave, you're going back to work? I'm not sure if this is the correct way to approach it but, in your situation, I would call them back and tell them that you're still employed because that would restore the WTC at least. When you come to make your next Tax Credit claim you declare your actual income for 2012/13... which will be lower if you've had 13 weeks unpaid leave... and that should correct the balance.

TCAO Tue 08-Jan-13 01:14:37

The last message is not correct. If you are on unpaid leave for more than 4 weeks then you are considered unemployed for Tac Credits. When you tell update TC you will get a 4 week run on period for both WTC and childcare costs automatically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now