Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

maternity cover job - what am I entitled to?

(5 Posts)
Nickname1980 Thu 29-Nov-12 13:21:51

Thank you - this is helpful! I'm not a teacher, I'm a journalist

vj32 Sat 24-Nov-12 22:41:32

Are you a teacher by an chance?

flowery Thu 22-Nov-12 12:54:30

If you become pregnant after you've started the job, and have at least 26 weeks service by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant, and earn enough, you will get SMP. It won't matter that you leave employment, you'll still get it.

If you become pregnant then take the maternity cover post, you'll probably get MA, which is the same as SMP except the first 6 weeks.

Rockchick1984 Thu 22-Nov-12 12:51:08

Depends on when you get pregnant, it's likely to be maternity allowance through the government rather than SMP

Nickname1980 Thu 22-Nov-12 11:57:21

I have just been offered a one-year maternity cover post. (My current job is contract and will end this summer anyway, unless i leave before it.)

My husband and I would like to try for a baby within this next year. If I take this maternity cover post and become pregnant, am I entitled to any maternity benefit when the job finishes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now