Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

About debt collectors - please help!

(9 Posts)
ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 21-Nov-12 22:08:40

You're welcome.

Solopower1 Wed 21-Nov-12 21:48:56

Thank you very much for your help. I've just been on the phone to her and emailed her the links. I think she feels a bit better now. smile

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 21-Nov-12 21:46:44

Harrassment by creditors - doesn't give a sample letter, but outlines what to write. Obviously, she does need to know who they are, though.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 21-Nov-12 21:41:24

Yes should have said she isn't liable for his debts unless she signed as guarantor. I was assuming she had no letters and was getting phone calls. Harrassing behaviour, ie calling several times a day, making threats etc, is illegal - CAB have a standard letter (might be a link to it on Adviceguide), which she could send to them if she knows who they are.

LadyMaryChristmas Wed 21-Nov-12 21:36:33

She needs to check the letter, as they may not be bailiffs. She needs to show that he doesn't live there, showing her council tax bill if it has the single persons discount on it for example. She should contact the debt collection agency and tell them that her son doesn't live there and that she's unable to contact him. They should leave her alone. If they are bailiffs, they can't take any goods as the debt is not hers. The CAB will be able to advise her a lot better though, just tell her to take all of the letters with her.

Solopower1 Wed 21-Nov-12 21:32:25

Thank you. Going to check out that link now.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 21-Nov-12 21:31:35
ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 21-Nov-12 21:30:25

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/debt_e/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/debt_bailiffs_e/about_bailiffs.htm Difference between debt collectors and bailiffs]].
Your sister probably means bailiffs when she says she thinks they might come and take stuff. If it is bailiffs, they can only come in if someone lets them, or through an open window, say. But it sounds as if your sis could do with visiting CAB for advice. More general advice on debt in that link, btw.

Solopower1 Wed 21-Nov-12 21:18:40

My sister's son has run up some debts and given her address as his home, although he has moved out. The debt collecting company has contacted her to say they will be coming to her house. I don't know exactly what was in the letter, but she is very worried they will force their way in and just start taking stuff.

Does anyone know if debt collectors can do this? Is she liable for his debts, although he is over 21? What should she do? She can't contact her son, btw, as he won't answer his text messages or phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now